cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC 5.0 and Solution Manager

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

we are going to install a ECC 5.0 with Oracle as IDES system on a new machine.

Questions:

1. Do we have to install the Solution Manager, or is there a way to install without.

2. If the solution manager is needed, can it be installed on the same host or does it have to be separately

3. Space requirements: I have read in the forum that ECC needs 120 GB database size on Oracle.

Thanks very much

Markus

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

before installing ecc5 ,you need to install solution nager this is used to get the installation/upgrade key for

ecc5 installation(t-code smsy),this is asked when you start the sapint

yes ides version requires more than 120gb(abap only) ,if you are installing the ecc5(not ides) you require

around 50gb

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

it is also possible to generate the key as follows:

ECC 5.0 without Solution Manager

See Page 50 of sap_ecc5.0_sr1_planning_and_preparation -> Generate the SAP Solution Manager Key

a) Create an OSS-message.

b) Enter the following data:

■ Component: SV-SMG

■ Short text: Schluesselgenerierung

■ Long text:

■ System ID (triple-digit)

■ System number (two-digit)

■ Server on which SAP ECC is to be installed.

See Also

For more information, see also SAP Note 805390.

regards

Markus Krammer

EMC SAP Consulting

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We are facing a problem with ECC 6 IDES installation.

It is asking for Solution Manager Key.

Is this required?

Regards

Nair

Former Member
0 Kudos

NAIR

SOLUTION MANAGER IS MANDATORY FOR THE ECC SYSTEM TO GENERATE THE KEY FOR THE ENTIRE LANDSCAPE. Without creating key in SM for the IDES/DEV/QAS/PRD installation are not possible.

You have to first install the SM to Generating the Key. I already wrote above lot of things that KEY is mandatory . you can't skip.

<u><b>KEY IS MANDATOROY FOR THE ECC SYSTEM</b></u>

Regards

Anwer Waseem

SAP BASIS Technology Consultant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here is the procedure to Generate the Key

Procedure

1. In your SAP Solution Manager system, call transaction SMSY (System Landscape Maintenance).

2. To create your SAP system in the system landscape, proceed as follows:

a) Select the landscape component Systems and choose Create New System from the context menu.

b) Enter the system ID in the following dialog box as the system.

c) Select the relevant product and the corresponding product version from the input help.

Then choose Save.

d) Fill in the system data as much as possible.

You can find further documentation in the online help at Help® Application Help.

e) Save your entries.

3. To generate the key, choose Other object... from the menu System Landscape.

4. Set the indicator System and choose the system that you want to install from the input help.

If you created the system in the SAP Solution Manager in the previous step, choose this system.

5. Choose Generate Installation / Upgrade Key.

6. Enter the requested information.

7. Choose Generate Key.

46 PUBLIC June 02, 2006

Award points if useful

Thanks

Uday

Former Member
0 Kudos

1) During the installation process a SAP Solution Manager system is required to generate the “SAP Solution

Manager key” for the installation of IDES / SAP ECC. Without this key, the installation process cannot continue. You can generate the required key with SAP Solution Manager Release 3.1 SP20 or SAP Solution Manager Release 3.2 SP4.

Generate Key is manadatory for the SAP & IDES ECC5 Installation.

<b>component installation guide (I) Planning & Preparation</b>

2) IDES & SM on the same host can be possible but SAP doesn't recommend to install on same host.

Thank You Very much

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello to all,

What Anwer says I disagree for ERP 2004 IDES because I have installed it without solution manager Key. Where as Key is Mandatory for Upgrade to ERP 2004 or ERP 2004 standard Installations but not for IDES. I have done all above 3 of them and I can say it confidently. You try it will find your self that you require or not.

Well if he is thinking for any other version i.e. ERP 2004S or so then I do not have any idea because I did not install it yet.

Good Luck

Raman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anwer of your question are down:

1) Yes, You need to the solution manager to generate the Key for IDES ECC 5. Solution Manager is manadatory for the IDES. you have to install SM4 before the IDES.

2)SAP will not recommend to IDES and SM on the same machine. Practically is possible but need lot of resourcess.

3) Yes. accept the default size of database file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sat,

thanks for the quick reply.

1. Does it really make sense to install the Solution Manager for the IDES system?

2. How did you size/divide the partitions for ECC 5.0 on the hard drive?

regards

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It doesn't require Solution Manager and genereted key while installing IDES ECC 5.0.

I have done it before.We installed Solution Manager in seperate system but during the IDES istalltion it dodn't ask for that key.

Regards,

Sabita

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus and other team members,

1. Solution Manager is not required for IDES Systems.

2. You can install on same host if you want to but give different system number.

Raman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus

1 You could install ECC5.0 With out solution Manager

2 Usually we install solution Manager different Host.

Hope this helps

Thnaks

sat