cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to change a Subject Line in a Forum question

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

In Forums, many times I see that people create duplicate questions because after posting a question and getting some responses, they realize that the Subject Line is not descriptive enough .

e.g

/thread/1520926 [original link is broken]

/thread/1519271 [original link is broken]

I personally feel that if we provide an option to a question's owner to change the subject line at any point of time( even after many replies) if needed, it could avoid some duplications in questions.

(Let me know if its already there and I dint know about this feature

Regards,

Pooja Pandey

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Until someone posts an answer, you can edit a post including the title.

But, don't you think the OP popped the first question to get a general idea about terminology to use in the second question so that it sounded more professional?

Both are "step by step plz" type questions...

Other questions (16 of them..) by the same user are asking to send docs to his mail ID...

Most of the questions are answered by linkfarms, which is a symptom of the question quality....

Hang on a second here please! I will be back in a moment.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> But, don't you think the OP popped the first question to get a general idea about terminology to use in the second question so that it sounded more professional?

>

Well, I agree with you but I still feel that it would be good to have the Subject change option's control on owner's hand :).

Its just that whatever we have we want more than that.

Pooja Pandey

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Pooja,

You can change the title and the post itself, but you need to realize the mistake.

If I remember correctly, you have 15 minutes time for this.

There were some strategists in the past who posted "place holders" or went back and edited their posts once someone had provided a better solution. This is not main the intention of the forums and sharing you knowledge at the time of posting.

My recommendation is to do a quick check on the OP before answering by checking their recent posts via the user profile, and if you find the question interesting but are not sure about aspects of it, then don't rush in but take your time to work it out.

A respectfull OP should appreciate this, and the quality of the discussion around the solution.

Personally, I have also learnt very valuable skills from SDN when someone stepped in to say "Sorry Julius, but that is a legacy approach and you can now use XYZ..." or "That is bad advise, because you have not considered ABC.." etc.

Such discussions are worth gold to everyone, and there is nothing wrong with making "innocent" mistakes.

My 2 cents of thinking before posting,

Julius

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

There, that is much better now.

I left the oldest post and locked it, so that folks who make the little effort to check whether the OP is a troll or not will find what they are looking for.

Looking back, I think the contributors should have seen it coming that the OP would turn into a forum troll. People who answer such lazy questions are themselves a part of the problem.

Cheers,

Julius