cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

clarify starting/stopping database ora<sid>, <sid>adm, sqlplus, startsap

former_member602456
Discoverer
0 Kudos

I confess we have a great deal of uncertainty about the consequences of running the Oracle Database as the ora<sid> user vs. the <sid>adm user, and similarly using simple sqlplus as ora<sid> vs startsap/stopsap as <sid>adm .

What is the potential harm if any in choosing to start/stop the database as ora<sid> using sqlplus, and is there a compelling arguement for using the startsap/stopsap utilities, especially running these as <sid>adm vs. ora<sid> ?

Any input on best practice is greatly appreciated. !!

Thanks in advance

Dave Hays

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

former_member186775
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hii

You said you have observed great deal of uncertainity about the consequences

of running them with different id's ...can you please specify what are those

uncertainities you have observed.regarding startup and stop there will no

problem on behalf of which userid you have choosen.I agree <sid>adm n ora<sid>

has differences...but not in case of basic start and stop.

Regards,

Manjula.

former_member602456
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Manjula, sorry - I should have chosen my words more carefully. I meant only that in my department we have some uncertainty about whether it is safe to do this (run the database as ora<sid>) . Our organization is such that we are primarily Oracle DBAs with little SAP experience, supporting only the database - while the BASIS team retains responsibility for everything above .

So, we're just looking for advice - I appreciate your input, it sounds like it is really not something to be overly concerned about.

Thanks again!

dave

former_member186775
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dave,

As you said --you mostly support database,I would

suggest you to carry on with <sid>adm.This is my expereince ..i would like

to share with you.

with admin userid

when working in SAP 4.7EE with Oracle 8i,I observed a thing that when I go for

start>run>(type as)BRTOOLS ,I didnt get any specifications BUT WITH

with <sid>adm

If I give BRTOOLS--I used to get options whether

to start/stop DB,

Backup

Add a tablespace...etc

After this experience I came to know the importance of <sid>adm userid.

As you said you concentrate more to support database..so try to work with <sid>adm.

Hope this answer helps,

Regards,

Manjula.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

by default, user [sid]adm is not part of "dba" group, so, it might not be able to shutdown Oracle.

so, if you put user [sid]adm part of group dba, it does not matter.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

>

> by default, user [sid]adm is not part of "dba" group, so, it might not be able to shutdown Oracle.

>

> so, if you put user [sid]adm part of group dba, it does not matter.

Hi Eric,

are you sure about this?

It is quite a long time I've done an installation, but all the systems I've connected (and checked this) the use <sid>adm belinged to both groups

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Fidel, I'm sure. At least, that was the case with SAP R/3 4.6c with Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris 8. I don't have a Unix system handy right now.

fidel_vales
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

I'll try to find out.

On the two systems I have access now the user belongs to both groups;

[1]id                                                                                
uid=43637(<sid>adm) gid=401(sapsys) groups=201(sshd),804(interfac),400(dba),402(oper),403(sapinst),846(apo<sid>),801(sdba) 

[1]id
uid=100(<sid>adm) gid=79(sapsys)
[2]groups
sapsys dba oper sapinst

but I do not know if that was added afterwards or during installation.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi David,

This is purely on the discretion of the person who has installed orset up the SAP system.

sidadm and orasid users belong to different groups and enjoy different privileges according to that. Once SAP is installed both the users have changes in the enviornment settings as per the user group. SO no harm in using either of the users if you can perform the task succesfluuy.

For best practices, you can check the SAP installation document for more information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As long as you start/stop in the correct order I dont see any problem.