cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comparing programs using SE30

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have two programs that obtain the same result and expend the same

time but using different techniques: one uses a lot of access to the bseg table with primary index from an

internal table with bkpf information) and the other uses more abap processing ( using the internal table with bkpf

information and an internal table with bseg information, I use parallel

index).

When I analyse both programs with SE30 transaction the first program

expend 88,333,698 microseg. and the second expend 345,677 microseg. I

don´t undertand this result because both programs expend the same time.

And the other issue is that I ran again the analyse transaction for the

second program and I obtained similar results with the first program.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member197561
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Sara Edith Martinez,

At first place you have to be sure that in both SE30 snapshots you have captured exactly and only the funtion, which you would like to compare. (In some cases when using the same SAP GUI login user for access to SE30 and for the execution of your function there could be not exact match.)

Let's assume that the snapshots for the function are ok : in SE30 there are 2 columns - gross time and net time. The net-time is the time only spend in the function while the gross time is with all sub-function calls. If the function makes remote call, db call, etc. this time is added to the net time, i.e.it is included.

The best way to compare different algorithms is:

1) In /nSTAD look for response time, CPU time, DB time, Logical calls, Physical calls, incomming and outgoing RFC calls, Memory.

2) In se30 compare not mosly the time, but the number of method calls - usually the algorith with less number of calls is better.

3) take ST05 trace and compare where the statements are less and faster, and also if identical calls (same statement with different parameters or same statement with same parameters) is used, or if db calls with no index support are executed.

4) Take ST05 traces for RFC or Http calls, etc. if those are used in your program.

Best Regards,

Sylvia

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Did you happen to compare the times of the top calls for each run?

What is the breakdown between the ABAP and DB times?

I don't believe "wait" time is accounted for in SE30...so depending on where your time is spent...the difference on each execution could be due to wait time...

Also have you compared the stats data for each run? You would see wait time there.