cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from sun/solaris to windows

Former Member
0 Kudos

While performing a migration of SAP from solaris to windows OS what are the implications, issues and things to keep in mind. Also which database would give the best performance (Oracle or MS SQL) and what are the specific requirements if latest release of MS SQL is to be used the database.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> While performing a migration of SAP from solaris to windows OS what are the implications, issues and things to keep in mind.

You need to have a certified migration consultant on-site to do that migration. If you do it on your own, you'll loose support for problems during the migration and for the target system (see http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration).

> Also which database would give the best performance (Oracle or MS SQL) and what are the specific requirements if latest release of MS SQL is to be used the database.

what is "the best performance"?

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Markus.

Actually I am looking at feasibility analysis. Ofcourse migration will be done certified consultants. What I want to know is if our current system is running on solaris OS with oracle database then while migrating it to HP windows whether the same oracle database be retained or MS SQL server should be deployed.

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you can choose to remain with Oracle. It might be a better choice because you already paid for that license and you already have Oracle knowledge in your company.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Eric

That is fine but I rather need to know that if the database is changed from Oracle10.2 to MS SQL 2000 then what can be the implications and what will be the additional hardware requirements, if the current SAP configuration is 4.6D and it is migrated to 32 bit windows server 2003.

Whether shifting to MS SQL server 2000 would give an added advantage?

My job is to give the pros cons of both configurations.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> That is fine but I rather need to know that if the database is changed from Oracle10.2 to MS SQL 2000 then what can be the implications and what will be the additional hardware requirements, if the current SAP configuration is 4.6D and it is migrated to 32 bit windows server 2003.

Why do you plan to use the almost 10 year old SQL Server 2000? It's like going back to Oracle 7.x times! SQL Server 2005 would be the way to go.

> Whether shifting to MS SQL server 2000 would give an added advantage?

Advantage for whom?

- Oracle is expensive, the licenses and the annual maintenance is higher compared to SQL Server

- Oracle is complex, SQL Server is much easier to maintain

- Windows adds an additional risk (Virus, Malware) which is has to be dealt with separately (Firewalls, Virusscanners etc.) which in turn is additional work and hence costs additional money

- Windows is not always a deterministic operating system ("it works again after reboot, nobody knows why")

> My job is to give the pros cons of both configurations.

I would do some research what both combinations are able to do, if you need certain Oracle features that are not available on SQL Server, if you developers and administrators are more convenient with Oracle, if you have specific requirements about performance that can't be fullfilled with SQL server etc.

All that are things you have to evaluate and check. Since we don't know how you use the system and what you do with it we can't tell you what's "best" for your environment.

Markus

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

it's all the debate about what is better, Oracle or MS-SQL.

if you start from scratch, SQL server might be a better option because of its low maintenance compared to Oracle. But Oracle 10g is getting easier and easier to manage.

As I said earlier, you already have Oracle, so, might as well stick with it.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all for your valuable suggestions. The configuration that I found suitable was HP Windows 2003 and ms sql 2005.