cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is MDX on earth? some questions ...

former_member635540
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello gurus

I am planning to use a 3-party tool to make query to acccess data within SAP BW, which intends to replace Bex tools. I heard that OLE DB/OLAP BAPI/XMLA are three options of interfaces, and all those three interfaces are based on MDX. After rough investigation, I found that MDX is a standard query language to query MOLAP storage data. So I have the following questions:

1. Since MDX only serves for MOLAP data storage, shall I firstly need to convert all the relative infocube in SAP BW from relational data storage into multidimensional data storage?

2. Since MOLAP only serves for MS SQL 2000 database, so if we use oracle as SAP BW database server, then we cannot use MOLAP? and cannot use MDX?

3. How to use MDX? Shall I firstly use tcode MDXTEST to generate the MDX code for certain infocubes, and then copy such code into 3-party tool?

can anybody answer my questions or part?

thank you very much!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Eric

I am not sure whether this answers your question or not but have a look

Thnaks

sat

former_member635540
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sat

Thanks for your link, it ensures my guess for question 3. but my first 2 questions are still open issues...

anybody can give further help???

Patrick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Pls see the weblog /people/prakash.singh4/blog/2005/06/08/quick-help-in-creating-mdx-statement

/people/moya.watson/blog/2004/04/19/command-interfaces-keys-to-simplicity-in-the-bi-java-sdk

Regards

Praveen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

<i>1) Since MDX only serves for MOLAP data storage, </i>

This is wrong statement .You can use MDX on ROLAP also.

<i>shall I firstly need to convert all the relative infocube in SAP BW from relational data storage into multidimensional data storage?</i>

No need.

2. <i>Since MOLAP only serves for MS SQL 2000 database, so if we use oracle as SAP BW database server, then we cannot use MOLAP? and cannot use MDX?</i>

You can use it .

With rgds,

Anil Kumar Shrma .P