cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ways to connect MDM with PI.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I would like to know what are the ways to get connected with MDM using PI.

One way could be file?

Kindly provide me with detailed points.

Cheers,

kARTHICK

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. Using File Adapter in FTP mode: Need 1 FTP which will post file from PI to Ready/Inbound folder of MDM.

2. Using MDM Adapter: Its a new adapter introduced by SAP. Give details of MDM repository, Port, and required details. File will be posted to MDM ready/inbound folder.

Similarly vice-versa to pick the file from oubound folder of MDM.

There is no other adapter to connect to MDM using PI.

Let me know if you want any further details.

BR,

Kasturika

Former Member
0 Kudos

hI kasturika,

MDM adaptor is introduced in PI7.1 apart from WS adaptor(Web service).

Ru really sure using PI we can get connected to MDM only using File adaptor and MDM adaptor? MDM is an SAP system so my question is why cant IDOC be used here..(Just wanted to know)

Can webservices or web methods be used to connect MDM (just wanted to know)

Cheers,

Karthick

sunilchandra007
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes, you can use Idoc, but not directly.

For clear picture, have a look at the article

ERP-MDM Integration through PI u2013 Part 1: IDoc to XML Conversion

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/a09fedc9-fe92-2b10-bd94-b53370283ca9&override...

Regards,

Sunil Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

No, MDM is not like other SAP systems. Its not an ABAP based system. MDM is a standalone application.

MDM can import flat file, XML file, Excel or Access file using import manager. And from PI either of these file should be placed on MDM Inbound Ready folder. So incase of IDoC adapter there is no way to give path og MDM Ready folder. Not even in any other Adapter. There is no posting logic like any other system using BAPI, RFC or Idocs.

Similary MDM can export only flat or XML file. And PI needs to pick it from outbound folder of MDM.

In case of file adapter you you will connect to FTP and the Reday folder path will be given in FTP Path. So PI will handover the file to FTP and FTP will place it to MDM Ready folder.

In case of MDM adapter FTP is an inbuilt fuctionality, so you need to mention only MDM Repository Parameters. And FYI, you can also deploy MDM Adapter on PI 7.0 as well apart from its provided with PI 7.1.

BR,

Kasturika

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> hI kasturika,

>

> MDM adaptor is introduced in PI7.1 apart from WS adaptor(Web service).

>

> Ru really sure using PI we can get connected to MDM only using File adaptor and MDM adaptor? MDM is an SAP system so my question is why cant IDOC be used here..(Just wanted to know)

>

> Can webservices or web methods be used to connect MDM (just wanted to know)

>

> Cheers,

> Karthick

Hi Karthick,

First i want to clarify few points,its not fair to say SAP MDM is ABAP based application. MDM 7.1 providing standard MDM-PI Adapter to conect directly MDM.

But in MDM5.5 we use some times Filda adapter to retrive MDM published data in to File System,that means its not possbile to conenct direclly MDM System.MDM Syndicator one component available in MDM,normally MDM Syndicator syndicates the files in File System with different format most XML.

If you are using PI as a middleware in landscape then easy to pull the data from File System is File Adapter,if you know other alternative you can use like proxys,but there is no limitation that use only File Adapter.

if you hav middleware in your ladscape is Web Methods you can conect to file system using Web Methods adapter you can pull the data and send data to File System.

MDM import maager componet available in mdm,what is does is it direclt imprt the XML data ot any fromat of data from File System.in this case also we are not conecting MDM direcly.

there is some other option to use JAVA APIs or ABAP APIs( like PI ABAP proxies or JAVA Proxies)to conect MDM System.

i hope you clear ,

Regards,

Raj

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

sunilchandra007
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karthick,

Just search on SDN with the term "PI MDM". You would a lots of links.

One of the link is

Regards,

Sunil Chandra