cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I know that current system performance is good or bad?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Our BC guy always told us there is no system performance related issue.

But, when we logon and run some transactions, we don't think it is not correct.

We felt the system is not as fast as we expected based on SAPS.

Is there anyone who knows how I estimate that current system performance is good or bad?

Thanks.

BR,

Chris Kim

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member197561
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

You say that

"We felt the system is not as fast as we expected based on SAPS. "

The SAPS, by Hardware provider, do not determine the speed of the machine, but only the throughput of the machine.

Plesae check SAP Note 1501701 “Single Computing Unit Performance and Sizing” https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/1501701

Best regards,

Sylvia

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ptobably above post has already helped you understand. Ask your basis guys to have a look at ST03N/STAD, logon load balancing, ST04 etc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Folks,

Thanks for your comments.

What I want to know is that I just need any documentations for deciding whether our system performance is OK in

comparison with SAPS.

Our BC guy always said there is no problem in performance perspective.

But, we have felt our system is not as fast as he said.

So, I am looking for the document that we can decide whether our performance is OK compared with SAPS objectively.

Thanks again.

BR,

Chris Kim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>we can decide whether our performance is OK compared with SAPS objectively.

This has absolutely no meaning.

SAPS is a standard SAP benchmark.

Your system does not run the SAPS benchmark.

You have to define a specific SLA (Service Level Agreement) for your company specific needs.

A good response time in one company can be considered bad in an other company.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Olivier,

First of all, thanks for your update.

I totally agree with you.

Our BC guy always told us there is no performance issue, and the system is designed correctly and related parameters are correct as well.

But, when we run a report or post FI documents, we don't think there is no problem and the system is OK.

So, I would like to find out the documentations for this kind of perforance issue.

I thought SAP can give us ojective guideline for system performance.

Isn't there this kind of data?

Thanks.

BR,

Chris Kim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

So it means that you have to analyse the response time of your specific report.

Run an SQL trace with ST05 to check the SQL requests.

Use STAD to analyse the dialog steps.

You have to uderstand if the response time is long but normal because the task to process is long (for example , reading millions of database table lines) or because there is a problem with the database or system.

This the job of your BC guys...

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

The best starting point to determine good and/or bad performance is to objectively study the performance information. If your BC tells you there is no performance issue, then he should be able to produce statistical documentation to prove it. The system may very well indeed perform well on average, but that does not rule out performance spikes that can be more finely tuned. In other words, a discussion should start with "reality" (the performance data, not just someone's word for it) versus the "perception" (why you think the problem performance transactions are, etc.).

Also, "external" components such as the network could be in play, too. A system can be perfectly tuned for screaming performance, only to be bogged down by other network traffic.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Matt,

I agreed with you and appreciate your comment.

BR,

Chris Kim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Beauty lies in the eye of the beholder, same as performance, which is user perception

as a rule you can say that below 1 second of dialog response time is good performance

above 2 seconds I would call bad performance

this for an ERP system, BW for instance has typically much worse dialog response times

in case you want to find out yourselves: transaction ST03N

rgds,

Paul