cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installing MaxDB patches

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Currently I have MaxDB version 7.7.02.17 with SAP NetWeaver running on the same machine.

There are two versions of patches available to me for download: 7.7.06.17 and 7.7.07.09

Question 1: Must I install both patch versions sequentially, or can I just install 7.7.07.09 ? (i.e. are these patches cumulative?)

There are patches for the "server package" and for the "application runtime package". The 'installation profiles' and 'software components' sections in the MaxDB Installation Manual indicate that there are software components in the "application runtime package" that are not in the "server package".

I've seen a presentation (http://www.scribd.com/doc/3444001/SAP-MaxDB-Apply-Patches) that suggests patching FIRST the "application runtime package" and SECOND the "server package".

But I've seen also a suggestion on this forum () that it's not necessary to patch the "application runtime package" if you are patching the "server package".

Question 2: Must I install both the "server package" AND the "application runtime package" patches? If both, then in what order?

In my NetWeaver installation, the admin page for the database does not display in the sapmmc, and I'm wondering whether installing the "application runtime package" patch might fix this problem.

Sorry to have to post these questions. It seems like there is plenty of scope to have these things explained in the documentation, but I cannot find the answers. I'd appreciate any further guidance.

Regards,

Mark

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor

> Question 1: Must I install both patch versions sequentially, or can I just install 7.7.07.09 ? (i.e. are these patches cumulative?)

All patches are cummulative. You always get a complete installation package; no need to apply patches sequentially.

Just install the most current patch and you're done.

>

> There are patches for the "server package" and for the "application runtime package". The 'installation profiles' and 'software components' sections in the MaxDB Installation Manual indicate that there are software components in the "application runtime package" that are not in the "server package".

> I've seen a presentation (http://www.scribd.com/doc/3444001/SAP-MaxDB-Apply-Patches) that suggests patching FIRST the "application runtime package" and SECOND the "server package".

Sorry, but that's pure nonsense.

> Question 2: Must I install both the "server package" AND the "application runtime package" patches? If both, then in what order?

Whether you use the server package or the application runtime packge just depends on whether you're upgrading a MaxDB server or just a client.

Since the upgrade tools (SDBSETUP and SDBUPD) recognize what software packages are already installed, you may just download the server package and use it for both patch installations.

> In my NetWeaver installation, the admin page for the database does not display in the sapmmc, and I'm wondering whether installing the "application runtime package" patch might fix this problem.

Nope, this has nothing to do with it.

regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many thanks, Lars. The update was painless.

Answers (0)