SAP for Utilities Discussions
Connect with fellow SAP users to share best practices, troubleshoot challenges, and collaborate on building a sustainable energy future. Join the discussion.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Serial Number of devices

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

The equipment category " I " has been assigned with the number ranges in the plant maintenance.

The internal number range is 10000000 to 19999999 and the current status is 10122779.

When i create a device using IQ01for a new material ,the system is proposing the serial number as 1.But actually the system has to propose the serial number as 101227780.

Could any one explain what could be the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Santhosh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

friedrich_keller
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let's try to sort out the confusion with the numbers because the answers speak of the three different numbers material number, equipment number and serial number. Material number is config data and describes the equipment. Equipment number is the identifier of any equipment created in the system - an equipment number must be unique. Serial number is an additional attribute. The combination material number - serial number must be unique.

If the system allocated a new serial nunber automatically is checks the entry in the MASE table. There you find the highest used serial number per material number. The application picks up the entry and increments the number by one and writes it back. There is no number range object available for a serial number.

I hope it helps.

Cheers,

Fritz

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santhosh,

The serial number depends on the material type chosen in the transaction IQ01.

For example:

If there are already 10 meters in the system and if i try to create a new meter using IQ01, then the next serial number will be 11.

But if there are no correctors in the system and if i try to create a new device which is a corrector using IQ01 then the serial number starts from 1.

Hope the above gives solution to query.

Regards,

Sharin.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santosh,

Serial Number is related with Material management whereas Equipment number is related with Plant Maintanence.

Try to change the number range in MM.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Manish

friedrich_keller
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Let's try to sort out the confusion with the numbers because the answers speak of the three different numbers material number, equipment number and serial number. Material number is config data and describes the equipment. Equipment number is the identifier of any equipment created in the system - an equipment number must be unique. Serial number is an additional attribute. The combination material number - serial number must be unique.

If the system allocated a new serial nunber automatically is checks the entry in the MASE table. There you find the highest used serial number per material number. The application picks up the entry and increments the number by one and writes it back. There is no number range object available for a serial number.

I hope it helps.

Cheers,

Fritz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Santhosh,

As Friedrich said the number range you set for Equipment is different from the Serial number.

The device number is created in MM with the function Goods Receipt. At the utility company, the device is labeled with this number. The device number can also be generated when you create a device in IS-U. The device is identified by a unique material and serial number combination to distinguish it from other pieces of material that may have the same serial number. The equipment number is the same throughout the whole system.

-siva

0 Kudos

Thanks to all.