cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from PI 71.0 to 7.11 and Adapter Metadata

Former Member
0 Kudos

We've upgraded from PI 7.1 to 7.11. Part of the upgrade is the import of a new version of the Software Component SAP BASIS 7.11. This is described in the Additonal PI specific information in the Installation Guide of Ehp1.

My question is what to do with the old SAP BASIS 7.10 SWCV. A logic step is to remove it from the ESR, but SAP BASIS contains the Adapter Metadata used in the Communication Channels in the Integration Directory, so all Communication Channels created before the EhP upgrade are dependent on SAP BASIS 7.10. I assume I have to change all Adapter Types of every Communication Channel to point to SAP BASIS 7.11 before I can remove the old version. As far as I can see this is a manual action ( on a few hundred CC's).

It is also possible to leave both version 7.10 and 7.11 in the ESR, but then every time you want to select an Adapter Type in a Communication Channel, you get two options for every Adapter Type, the 7.10 one and the 7.11 one. This is very confusing.

So what would you do, leave the SAP BASIS 7.10 in the ESR? Remove the SAP BASIS 7.10 SWCV? Do I have to change all CC's beforehand? Is there a smart way to do this?

Thanks,

Andre

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

marksmyth
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Andre

This behavior is as designed. There is no need to change the adapter metadata to SAP BASIS 7.11. The reason for this is that the communication channels will work as normal using the 7.10 metadata. No manual change is required to make the channels work in

the newly upgraded 7.11 system.

Automatic migration, to the 7.11metadata, would have forced extensive testing to be carried out after the upgrade and this is not necessary if you continue to use the 7.10 metadata.

If you wish to use any new features in 7.11, you will need to change the metadata to 7.11 But as you will already have to implement the new feature/parameter, having to additionally change the metadata to 7.10 is not considered a big issue.

Regards

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your answer. I understand that it is not necessary to remove the old versions of the Software Component. Only disadvantage is that after a few updates of the Software Component all Input Help lists will be cluttered with different versions of the same object. For example, when I create a new Communication Channel, and click on the Input Help, I have to choose between two versions of Adapter Metadata. This list will grow when more versions of SAP BASIS are released.

Thanks,

Andre