cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta update mechanism in R/3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have doubt on the delta update mechanism in R/3 side. How does the delta gets identified in R/3. Is it that when We initialise the delta from BW for a particular datasource, in R/3 some marker is set and then accordingly new posted data gets collected to BW delta queue that point onwards.

Please help. If any informative docs available, do email me at

dearwrushali@gmail.com

With Regards,

Wrushali

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (10)

Answers (10)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wrushali,

You are right At any point you can fill the setup tables and do the full loads.It again depends on the amount of data that your application has, but when you mark the selection for delta the application tables will update the delta queue from where the request picks the data.

It depends on the update mode that you choose 'D'when application determines delta, E' when extractor determines delta.

Best Regards,

DMK

*Assign points if it serves your purpose...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi DMK,

Thanks for addiional info. I think we can do full update at any point of time by filling up the set up table even after taking some deltas.

please do correct me if m wrong.

With regards,

Wrushali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Wrushali,

You know that when you want to go for Delta loads you must do the initialization, then the records will be picked up in full from the application tables and marking with a flag for delta to the selections that we have selected in the source system for transfer. It is from now the responsibility of the Delta Queue to pick up the changed/modified or new records from the application tables. Next time when you send a request to source sys. for delta load through SAPI, it will pick up from the delta queue of source system R/3.

If you are doing full loads after some delta loads and then you have decided to go for delta then for this, SAP has provided for us with an option to Initialize Delta without Data Transfer, where it will only initialize the selections and not literally carrying the entire records.

Hope this may serve your purpose. feel free to pose any questions on this..

Assign points if it satisfies your requirement..

Cheer

DMK

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kedar,

If thats the case then could you please let me know that in case of "init with data transfer" which data would get trasfered to BW. It would be full load according to you, but is it the data filled in set up table of R/3?

With regards,

Wrush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

It was helpful information. I have given my thanks by rewarding points.

With Regards,

Wrush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

Thanks. But could you tell me then what is the difference in Init with data transfer and without data transfer indicator available in infopackage Update tab. How does this impact on source system side

With Regards,

Wrush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To set up a delta, you first have to initilize the delta, which is what you do when you do a init with or w/o data transfer.

In init without data transfer, just the init is set and no data is transferred.

For init with data transfer, the init is set and a full load is done of the data into BW.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kedar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

Does this mean that when we do initialisation of any delta for any datasource it sets a flag in r/3 ?

Regards

Wrush

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Wrushali,

When you initialize Delta , a new entry is made in all these tables .. basically a flag is set for the same...

The entry is made for the particular datasource

Arun

Message was edited by: Arun Varadarajan

Former Member
0 Kudos

flag will be set in for changed records and new records,based on those images delta works.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arun,

I want to know at what point of time, the source system starts recognising the data in the source system as delta data and to be put into BW delta queue.

With Regards,

Wrush

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Wrushali,

The flag will usually be updated after a commit into the ABAP table ,

then when you have the extractor running , depending on the nature of the update , the delta queue is updated,

V1: Direct push to source system

V3: Direct push to Update tables from Program

If it is a function module based BC Extractor, then it looks for the flags in the corresponding tables, fillls them into the delta queue and then pushed them into BW.

Arun

P.S I think my points on V3 might be wrong but you get the concept...

Assigning points is a way of saying thank you on SDN

former_member184494
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Wrishali,

There are a lot of markers set in R/3 ..

refer the following tables :

1. ROOSOURCE

2. ROOSGENDLM

3. RSOLTPSOURCE

and some more... the markets for the datasource , BW Client and the last timestamp for delta , delta method etc are all marked.

Best this is to do a delta an have an SQL trace in the background.

Arun

Assingning points is a way of saying thank you on SDN

Arun