cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Reboot

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

When rebooting a server with SAP/Oracle on a Windows platform, does Oracle need to be shutdown separately by logging into the database, or when SAP is shutdown, does it shutdown Oracle sufficiently enough to reboot?

Thanks,

Jim

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

In Unix platform Oracle get automatically shutdown when we stop sap.

But, in Windows we have to manually stop oracle & all the services of sap and oracle in services.msc before rebotting the server.

Thanks

Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anil,

In unix if you run the stopsap r3 it will stop only sap instance & stopsap will stop both.

same way if you run the stopsap or startsap from the command prompt of windows you will get same result.

In windows you have to goto Kernal directory directory & then run stopsap.

BR,

Darshan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Guys,

I always thought it was sufficient to go to the SAPMMC on the desktop in Windows and stop the instance from there then reboot. When I was working with MSSQL, I never connected to the database and stopped it separately and everything worked fine. I didn't believe it was necessary to stop the database separately in Oracle either.

Jim

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

in theory, you could stop the OracleSErvice[SId] service which should shutdown Oracle. But it is way better to shutdown Oracle using SQLPLUS or brtools.

on some small non-SAP Oracle datbase I let the Oracle Service handle the shutdown and I had no problems in 2 years after weekly reboots. But I would never d o this for critical DB like those used in SAP systems.

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to bring down Oracle separately either from brtools or from command prompt of the server where you have database running.

1. Login with SIDADM

2. In the command prompt type "sqlplus /nolog" and then "connect /as sysdba"

3. Once connected to oracle run "shutdown immediate"

4. After server reboot , oracle may be up automatically depending on the oracle service type ( automatic or manual)

5. If not started, perform upto step 2 and then run "startup"