cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hetero Sys. Copy how to change Endian?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you in advance for any and all your help.

We are trying to do a Heterogenous System Copy from AIX 5.3 to Linux RedHat 5 ES.

How can we do the Heterogenous System Copy and change the Endian without converting to UNICODE?

We can only change the Endian if we select the UNICODE check box.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We are trying to do a Heterogenous System Copy from AIX 5.3 to Linux RedHat 5 ES.

> How can we do the Heterogenous System Copy and change the Endian without converting to UNICODE?

This is done by R3load.

> We can only change the Endian if we select the UNICODE check box.

Yes, because there are two different Unicode codepage for each endianess. An ASCII system is 1100 (or 1160) on either platform so you don't need to select anything.

Be aware that, if you have no certified migration consultant on-site doing the migration, you'll loose support for problems during and after the migration (see http://service.sap.com/osdbmigration).

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

I just want to make sure that I am understanding you correctly.

We can go from AIX to Linux WITHOUT going UNICODE and obtain the correct Endianess for Linux, correct?

During the R3Load we would not change anything in regards to Endianess?

Thanks,

Erik

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> We can go from AIX to Linux WITHOUT going UNICODE and obtain the correct Endianess for Linux, correct?

Yes.

> During the R3Load we would not change anything in regards to Endianess?

No.

The export is done in a database and operating system independent format, the target systems R3load will import the data in the proper endianess.

However, Non-Unicode systems are deprecated, if you now migrate, I would consider doing the Unicode migration in one step so you don't need to do it at a later point because successor versions of the software you run are only available as Unicode. This would be also necessary if you connect Java based applications to your system (e. g. a Portal). That is only supported if the backend system is Unicode.

Markus

Answers (0)