cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Assignment on Log field?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Is there any way / possibility to append an entry in Log field using MDM Assignments?

- Shailesh.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shailesh,

Try with Text Large fields. Procedure would be

1. Create two fields of type Text Large say Backup and Log

2. Create two assignments one on Backup and other one on Log field

3. Below exeuting assignment on Log field (which you are planning to do), copy the value of Log into Backup field.

4. Assignment expression on Backup would be

Backup&';'&Log

5. Assignment expression on Log is depending upon your requirement

Initially

Backup = Null

Log = Null

Iteration1

Backup = Null

Log = User1 Processes the step

Iteration2

Backup = User1 Processes the step

Log = Approver1 has approved the records

Iteration3

Backup = User1 Processes the step; Approver1 has approved the records

Log = Null

Note: You can also include timestamp using SYSTIME(0) in assignment expression of Log

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitesh,

Thanks for suggesting brilliant workaround...

Is there any way to use new line character as separator, rather than ";"

I tried using "\n" but its not working... it treats "\n" as a part of text, but not as a new line...

Regards,

- Shailesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shailesh,

Now this is the real challenge i have tried this but no luck. You can use tab in " ". This will definately bring the new entry in next line but if you resize the field then it will adjust accordingly. Some where you have to adjust your requirement

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Jitesh,

We tried one assignment which will pick log field value and update it into text field...

After performing above assignment, we found some square character's in text field separating time stamp and log message...

I think if we use these square characters as it is (by simple copy and paste) in assignment will work !

Also we tried to read log field value using MDM Java API. And output of Java API also returns similar square characters...

Regards,

- Shailesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shailesh,

I have tried this but it is not working. It simply displays the square box

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Jitesh,

Its working...

Based on your last replay... you said its working with tab character!

So we tried using "<ENTER KEY STROKE>" in place of \n (i.e. " then press enter key and then again " ) in assignment editor and its working...

Thanks and Regards,

- Shailesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

For me its not

if i press enter then again i get the square box

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jitesh,

We are using windows 64-bit platform. Don't know whether is it will matter or not !

Regards,

- Shailesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shailesh,

Dont know the exact reason but its good it is working for you. It would be better to update the thread status so that people working on similar requirement would get some thing from the discussion

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

Well Jitesh will try to use your suggestion...

Also, we will continue exploring the possibility of writing assignment on Log field.

We will update this thread, if we get some solution on log field assignment.

Thanks to all for your helpful attention to this problem...

Thanks Specially to Jitesh and Kanstantsin...

Thanks & Regards,

- Shailesh.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi shailesh,

you can check in MDM Server Settings File (mds.ini) Parameters,may be this will help u

regards

shankar

0 Kudos

If you have MDM 7.1, you can use the workaround with a tuple instead of a qualified table. That would allow you to run assignments on it.

0 Kudos

Hi Sailesh, it is not possible to run assisgnments on log fields due to the internal structuring of timestamps within the field. An alternative is to use a qualified field with one non-qualifier and 3 qualifiers. The qualifiers should be a text field, a time stamp, and a user stamp (optional). See [SAP note 1238594 |https://websmp230.sap-ag.de/sap(bD1lbiZjPTAwMQ==)/bc/bsp/spn/sapnotes/index2.htm?numm=1238594]for more information.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your replay...

As per the note you suggested, it is about workaround by replacing log field with qualified lookup...

Which is acceptable if you want to modify the field using portal content...

But still we cannot write assignment on qualified lookup field also...

Actually I am trying to create a logger for tracking workflow execution status...

where an idea is to call assignment after some steps in workflow to update the log field...

Regards,

- Shailesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Shailesh.

But in SAP MDM we have logger for workflow

Go to Admin->reports and get your workflow logs

You can set parameter:

Workflow Detailed Report = True

in mds.ini file your SAP MDM Server

Moreover you can control workflow in Data manager if you is owner

You can see current step,status,current user, creation date and ets.

IF workflow status is error you can load popup window(right click) and show history(find last workflow step)

Regards

Kanstantsin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Kanstantsin,

Thanks for your valuable reply....

Well, we are currently using MDM 5.5 SP6 P14... hence can't use tuple right now!

The logged details which you have mentioned, are available for a single workflow life-cycle.

Moreover the workflow history will get deleted with the deletion of workflow...

The logger which I am dreaming is a kind of single-point-of contact which will help in trouble-shooting...

Also I am planning to update the log field through other sources (like Java API) or SAP NW XI/PI...

So the idea is to use log field across the workflows and systems as a central place of logging...

I am archiving the same, by using a simple text field with enabling change tracking on it...

But for viewing the logged activities, this approach requires additional UI which will query change tracking table directly.

Hence just wondering if I could able to use Log field, then it will be better than change tracking...

Regards,

- Shailesh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Shailesh

Thanks for response.

Your point of view is clear for me.

Solution from Jitesh Talreja is will be good for that.

Regards

Kanstantsin

former_member189669
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shailesh,

Please clarify - Are you trying to assign a value into Log Folder(System folder) seen in Console ? Please elaborate and correct if my understanding is wrong .

In such a case, assignments into Logs folder is not possible in MDM.

Regards,

Vinay M.S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

Its about writing asignment on field which is of type "Log".

Regards,

- Shailesh.

former_member189669
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shailesh,

Noted. Thank you.

Regards,

Vinay M.S