Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mass gerneration of derived roles

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I've got two questions concerning mass generation of roles.

1)

In a system are implented certain roles. Sometimes we're getting an update of the parent roles. In the next step we have to derivate all kind roles manually. This is very costly for a lot of roles.

I know the point "mass generation" in PFCG, but if we use this with option "all roles to be compared" the derived roles will not be compared. Even if I do this in same system (changing the parent role, choosing option the mentioned option) the kind role will not be updated. Is there a possibility to solve this problem or make the derivation faster without touching each parent role?

2)

I want to do the derivation of roles automatically. I read here something about LSMW, Batch-Input or CATT scripts. Can anybody explain me how it exactly works with this automatic derivation of roles?

Regards,

Julia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Is there a possibility to solve this problem or make the derivation faster without touching each parent role?

Not without touching, but you can go around PFCG and save a lot of time. I will look up the report name for you.

> I want to do the derivation of roles automatically. I read here something about LSMW, Batch-Input or CATT scripts. Can anybody explain me how it exactly works with this automatic derivation of roles?

Basically ECATT is like a macro recorder or at least it can be used as such. This allows you to automate certain tasks. If you search the web on ecatt tutorial you should get enough information. Using ECATT will allow you to automate this task as well, both through PFCG and the report name I will give you in a few moments.

8 REPLIES 8

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Is there a possibility to solve this problem or make the derivation faster without touching each parent role?

Not without touching, but you can go around PFCG and save a lot of time. I will look up the report name for you.

> I want to do the derivation of roles automatically. I read here something about LSMW, Batch-Input or CATT scripts. Can anybody explain me how it exactly works with this automatic derivation of roles?

Basically ECATT is like a macro recorder or at least it can be used as such. This allows you to automate certain tasks. If you search the web on ecatt tutorial you should get enough information. Using ECATT will allow you to automate this task as well, both through PFCG and the report name I will give you in a few moments.

0 Kudos

SUPRN_REGENERATE_DEPENDENT is the report I meant. This will allow you to take care of all derived roles per parent role. To do more than one at a time you'll need a (ECATT) script.

0 Kudos

Thanks for your possibilities to solve the problem.

I think the first problem with the derivation of roles after update of parent role could be solved with your mentioned report and eCATT.

But with the second problem I still have trouble. I tried to use eCATT with transaction SECATT in SAP system. This works fine as long the roles have the same organizational levels.

But I think that there has got to be a script for each role, because the organizational levels differ from role to role. So if you have e.g. 100 parent roles in your system, you have to create 100 scripts (apart from the question, if it's reasonable to have so much parent roles). It's helpful that the parameters can be stored in a data container, but additionally you have to know, which script concernes which roles and you have got to use the right script for right role.

Or did I overlooked something in eCATT?

Regards,

Julia

0 Kudos

> Or did I overlook something in eCATT?

This depends on what you want to do. From your original question I understood you changed 'something' in the parent role. Now, if this 'something' doesn't bring along any new organizational fields you can re-generate the derived roles from the parent, using either PFCG or the report I mentioned earlier. This only takes the parent role name and a check box so one script will do.

If you need to fill organizational fields in your child roles then I'm afraid there are no shortcuts. So, what is it exactly you want to automate?

0 Kudos

The first problem with the derivation of roles if something was changed in parent role, is solved with your report. I still have to try it, but I think it's possible to use this report for more than one role with eCATT, as you said.

But the second problem concerned deriviation of roles basically . I've got a lot of parent roles which have to be derivated according to organizational levels (they aren't yet). I was looking for a solution to automatize this derivation or better automatize the calibrating of the organizational levels and found some hints in the internet, that this could be done with eCATT, CATT, LSMW or batch-input. But anybody detailled what he did.

Regards,

Julia

0 Kudos

Hi,

if you search in the blogs section in SDN, then you will find lot of articles like below

/people/sapna.modi/blog/2006/04/10/ecatt--an-introduction-part-i

Regards,

Gowrinadh

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Oct 27, 2009 9:52 PM

Session ID removed from link...

0 Kudos

> But the second problem concerned deriviation of roles basically .

Ah, your subject about generating put me on the wrong path. I thought it was only about the profiles. Your 'bigger' question has often been discussed but we're still eagerly awaiting a solution from SAP on this one.

If the number of organizational fields and values is the same an ecatt script may be usable but if you're unlucky you may have to record a new script for each parent as you already correctly spotted. There are some hacks and workarounds which mostly require bespoke programming and I haven't seen one yet which I can directly advise you......

Just creating the derived roles is very 'scriptable' but filling in the org levels unfortunately isn't straightforward.

0 Kudos

...Your 'bigger' question has often been discussed but we're still eagerly awaiting a solution from SAP on this one.

Ok, thank you for help. I will then wait eagerly for this solution too. Is there anything known about a date or something for this solution? Is there already a development request?

Regards,

Julia

Edited by: Julius Bussche on Oct 27, 2009 9:51 PM

Code -> Quote tags