cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is vmware supported for production environment ?

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Is vmware supported for production environment ?

Thanks

Sunny

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Is vmware supported for production environment ?

Yes, as long as you don't use Oracle as database:

Note 674851 - Virtualization on Windows

Markus

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Markus,

I found this note 1098847 last updated 12/01/2010 re: Virtual Machine Support for BPC

"SAP supports virtualization through the VMware software in development or

test environments. The use of BPC on VMware has not been extensively tested

by SAP, however, and for this reason we have not extended support to

production environments."

This sounds like SAP still not supporting vmare on SAP production environment for other than Oracle RDBMS

regards,

susanto

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If you have read this note carefully then you might have read that this note is talking about BPC only. Not for other SAP products.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All

I need yours valuable Advice for SAP on VMware ( 3 Tier ). Please give your valuable comments on this Landscape.

Our company planning to have SAP on Windows VMWare with MS SQL Database (3 Tier Implementation)

Server : IBM DS4000 and DS5000 Series

Database : MS SQL 2005

VMWare : vSphere 4.0 Enterprise

Please guide me is there issue with this landscape.

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

please consult SAP Note 1056052 and the linked documents at the end of the Note (especially "SAP Solutions on VMware vSphere 4 - Best Practice Guidelines").

Kind regards,

Matthias

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

I'm glad someone has outlined the clear support statement that has existed for sometime between VMware - SAP. For those of you still running on Oracle, here is some good news:

Wording towards SAP Customers requesting support:

"Oracle, VMware and SAP are working collaboratively to ensure support for SAP customers that use VMware virtualization for SAP solutions running Oracle DB. Functional tests are currently being performed to verify supportability of the SAP&Oracle stack. Details will be made available in SAP note 1173954 u201CSupport of Oracle for VMwareu201D after tests have been completed. It is expected that in Q1 2010, ESX 3.5 and later releases including vSphere 4 will be supported by Oracle and SAP according to Oracleu2019s metalink note 249212."

There is no reason why x86 platform today cannot run the most demanding workloads on VMware vSphere in a production environment. But has noted earlier, don't get hung up on "production" - you have heaps of TestDev, SolMan TestDev, sandboxes, gateways, application servers etc that should immediately by put into a VM - once you are comfortable with your solution in-house, I'm sure you will move production instances into a VM as well.

Below are some great resources for you to use in your quest to virtualize SAP on VMware:

Additional Resources

SAP Notes (for Windows platform)

674851: Virtualization on Windows

1104578: Virtualization on Windows: Enhanced Monitoring

1056052: Windows: VMware ESX Server 3.x or vSphere configuration guidelines

1260719: Detailed virtualization data using saposcol

SAP Notes (for Linux platform)

1122388 u2013 Linux: VMware ESX Server 3.x or vSphere configuration guidelines

1122387 u2013 Linux: Supported Virtualization technologies with SAP

171356 u2013 Virtualization on Linux: Essential information

SAP, VMware (and other) benchmarks

http://www.sap.com/solutions/benchmark/sd2tier.epx

Introductory document u201CVirtualizing SAP applications on Windowsu201D by SAP

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/70f63258-bff1-2a10-9db6-

cda6ef202bfc

VMware and SAP

White Papers, Success Stories, Webinars, Links, etc.

http://www.vmware.com/sap

SAP VMware Blog

http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/SAPsolutions

Regards,

Andre Kemp

VMware Sr. Product Marketing Manager - Asia Pacific

Certified mySAP 2K and Migration Consultant

Edited by: Andre Kemp on Dec 10, 2009 9:00 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Just to chime in, all my non-prod systems (ECC6, BI, SolMan) are running on a VMWare host without any problems. Windows 2003 Server, MS SQL2005 Enterprise. I'd be completely comfortable moving the prod systems over if we had the VM licenses to spare.

Regards,

Michael

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Just to chime in, all my non-prod systems (ECC6, BI, SolMan) are running on a VMWare host without any problems.

That's a good statement!

Just keep in mind that production systems usually have a MUCH higher load (hundreds, if not thousands of users), the load profile is very different to development/qa systems. This, of course, depends on the size of the systems in general and how much is effectively done on and with the system.

We had "blame circles" in error situations in the past, where the (non-SAP) application blamed the database, the database vendor blamed VMWare and VMWare blamed the application - and we as customers in the middle. I personally wouldn't want such a deadlock in a production down situation where you really need help.

Note: I'm not saying it's not working or that it wouldn't, I'm just dealing too long with IT stuff

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

I know what you're talking about, Markus. But SAP support for VMware has improved greatly. We have dedicated support engineers involved in the SAP and the VMware support organization. So if an SAP incident hits the VMware support components, we will investigate the VMware environment deeply. Sometimes we face the situation that the root cause analysis did not take place properly and we have to put the message "upwards" (in a technical layer view). Nevertheless, VMware support folks are able to identify faulty SAP components as well and it did not only happen once that we solved SAP problems.

As we all know that the stack works from a technical point of view, there is also no need to worry about running productive SAP systems on VMware from the support or critical incident handling perspective.

Matthias

Former Member
0 Kudos

No, Vmware is not supported for production environment. We are using ecc dev and quality on one server and bw dev and quality on another server.

whenever there is a major problem with guest OS both VM have to be shut down.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> No, Vmware is not supported for production environment.

???

This is not true.

Note 674851 - Virtualization on Windows
<...>
1 Supported virtualization solutions
SAP supports the following virtualization solutions for productive use of SAP systems on virtualized hardware:
    * VMware ESX Server 3.x and 4.0 (vSphere)
    * Microsoft Hyper-V
<...>

However, this statement is not true for Oracle but for all other databases.

> We are using ecc dev and quality on one server and bw dev and quality on another server.

> whenever there is a major problem with guest OS both VM have to be shut down.

Then you have a VMWare issue and I'd contact the VMWare support.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Markus,

you are right!

VMware is supported for production use of SAP. The only limitation is the database. As long as the customer does not use Orcale as the database you have a fully supported SAP system in a virtual environment.

André

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Oracle support statement for SAP on VMware is continously in discussion. We work on this to make the productive use of VMware virtualized SAP systems on Oracle possible. I will keep you updated in this forum and via the SAP Note.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Sunny,

I installed BPC 5.1 versions of Windows in VMware vSphere 4.0.0 and run well

Regards,

Yusak