cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taxonomy Attributes - Can they accept free Text

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Friends,

Our MDM Version: MDM 5.5, SP06, Patch 04.

We currently have Taxonomy Attributes sent from MDM to ECC Classification & Material Characteristics using CLFMAS02. Until now these characteristics had fixed values and this was fine as both MDM and ECC were accepting only fixed values.

Now the business wants to make the Classification Characteristics in ECC as free Text(No Drop Down). And this is do able in ECC. But MDM cannot allow Taxonomy Attrbutes to be Free Text . It has to have fixed set of values in MDM.

Please help me with input in the following areas:

1. Can we make the Taxonomy Attributes in MDM as FREE Texts.

2. If we cannnot make them as FREE Texts , what is the reason for it to have been designed so.

3. What should be the alternative approach i could use to have this scenario implemented in MDM.

Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sh

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is not possible to have attirbute to accept Free Text values. You can add new values into the attribute's drop down at the time of Import or create a separate field of type Text.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

How abt this....

Right click on your Attribute field --> Modify Text Value List --> Now you are able to add new values to the List.

It not direct solution your TEXT Field requirement; wanted to let you know there is option during runtime.

thanks

Alexander

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alexander,

I have an excel interface used for Mass Creation of Materials. This will in addition have fields for the Taxonomy Characteristics which would accept free text and get mapped to the characteritics.

Unless the characteristic is a free text it will not work.

As I mentioned on the ECC side the free text for characteristics can be enabled. the challenge is MDM does not allow it so i dont think i can use the CLFMAS as is.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sh

former_member153023
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi SH,

Could you please update on this?

Reg,

Bis

Edited by: Biswanathp on Oct 25, 2009 3:22 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Bis,

Thanks for your reply.

I have already tried the option and it does not work. When an Attribute in a Taxonomy is defined as a Text it needs a set of values (Drop Down List) from where it can pick the values. It does not accept a "free text".

Please let me know if you have any idea why this is defined in such a rigid fashion and is there any round about way to handle this.

Thanks,

Sh

former_member153023
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi SH,

Could you please update on this?

Reg,

Bis

Edited by: Biswanathp on Oct 25, 2009 3:21 PM

former_member153023
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi SH,

I Think, it is possible to create taxonomy attributes as "FREE TEXT" and can be syndicated to ECC as same.

Define the attribute as "TEXT" and try to enter free valus.

Could you please try to replicate this on your sand box?

Reg,

Bis