Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

condition to check if field has records(FOR ALL ENTRIES)

aris_hidalgo
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I am using FOR ALL ENTRIES in my select statement. Now, how can I check if the field that I am comparing to has

any records? So if does not have any, it would not do my select. Below is my select statement. Again, thank you guys and have a nice day!

SELECT equnr anlnr shtxt FROM itob

INTO TABLE it_itob2

FOR ALL ENTRIES IN it_equz

WHERE equnr = it_equz-hequi.

**I need to know if it_equz-hequi has any records so if it does, it will do the select statement above else, don't.

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Usually the field the WHERE clause will be a primary key and cannot have a null value. In case you are expecint a null value, then it is going to fetch the records that satisfy the condition.

I don't think you can restrict the select to fire only if the field has a value. Else you will have to for a SELECT inside the loop.

However, you will have to check if the table has any entries before firing the SELECT for ALL ENTRIES.

Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos

Check for NULL value of a field and use in WHERE clause as Primary Key and check for precondition

Regards

Prabhu

Former Member
0 Kudos

<b>if not it_equz[] is initial.

INTO TABLE it_itob2

endif.</b>

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

Before going to use for all entries in select statement we should sort our internal table which is using in for all entries of that select statement based on which fields that we used in WHERE condition.Then delete duplicate entries from that itab.Do like this

if not i_equz is initial.

sort i_equz by hequi.

delete adjacent duplicates from i_equz comparing all.

select....

endif.

Note:But in your case this ITOB is an view please check whether this option(FOR ALL ENTRIES) available for views or only for database tables.

Cheers,

Bujji.

0 Kudos

hi

before passing it in for all entries ....why dont u delete the irrelevant record from the internal table...and then check if not it_equz[]is intial.

and write the select query..

reward point if it helps

gunjan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai

if not it_equz[] is initial.

INTO TABLE it_itob2

endif.

For all entries

The for all entries creates a where clause, where all the entries in the driver table are combined with OR. If the number of entries in the driver table is larger than rsdb/max_blocking_factor, several similar SQL statements are executed to limit the length of the WHERE clause.

The plus

Large amount of data

Mixing processing and reading of data

Fast internal reprocessing of data

Fast

The Minus

Difficult to program/understand

Memory could be critical (use FREE or PACKAGE size)

Some steps that might make FOR ALL ENTRIES more efficient:

Removing duplicates from the driver table

Sorting the driver table

If possible, convert the data in the driver table to ranges so a BETWEEN statement is used instead of and OR statement:

FOR ALL ENTRIES IN i_tab

WHERE mykey >= i_tab-low and

mykey <= i_tab-high.

Thanks & regards

Sreenivasulu P