cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WD:Input field from numeric value to text in correct language.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Problem:

Using WebDynpro for Java, I have to show a ivew with inputfield in the correct language.

My first RFC call gives data for input fields or dropdown list that have numeric values only .

Each numeric value corresponds to a text value in the appropriate language.

I have to perform a second RFC call to get tables that show the corresponding text value.

What will be the best approach?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

the most simple approach which even performs quickest is to create an own small remote function module, which combines the functionality of the 2 calls you mention, having a TABLE parameter which returns both, the numbers and corresponding texts.

The RFM's IMPORTs should include a language-parameter to be able to select the texts for arbitrary languages.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stefan:

Thanks for your quick & clear answer. It sounds very good. Unfortunately I do not have too much control & access to the back end for the time being. Do you have another suggestion using Dynpro front end?

Thanks, regards, peter

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

that's a shame Ok, of course, there are other approaches, but the usability of them depend on the following questions:

1. Most important: How many entries (number/text pairs) are delivered at all (corresponding to the current language/all languages)?

2. How frequently is the input field (and the corresponding value help you try to build) used/changed in the application?

3. Does the corresponding Text-RFM support the selection of texts using a table of structures equivalent to the ABAP RANGES statement (e.g. a structure including OPTION, SIGN, VALUE)?

Possible solution:

If the text-RFM supports the RANGES, read the numbers first (1. RFM call), create an entry for each number with OPTION='I', SIGN='EQ', VALUE=number.

Call the text-RFM with the ranges and store the resulting number<->text pairs in an IModifiableValueSet of the context-attribute bound to the inputfield's value property. This results in an EVS value help for the input field.

If the text-RFM doesn't support ranges (and no other TABLE parameter which could be used for sending the numbers), you are in trouble, since you would have to call the RFM for each number (unusable).

So "it depends", please look at the text-RFM's interface and see (and post here;), what's possible.

Best regards,

Stefan