cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query field in a report designer layout

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Im Marco and i want to ask if there is the possibility to create a fied ( in report laout designer ) that is a result of a query..

can i associate a field to a specific user query? its possible to do that?

example...

i need for a customer print in sales offer the last sell price of an item and the actual price.

Actually im able to print the actual price but i dont know how i can print the price of the equal item of the last week. I think that the unique way is insert a query in a field and process with this method...

pratical example..

sales offer...

item: Fresh meat package

this week price: 5.5EUR - Last week price: 5.4EUR Diff. ?? %

can someone help me??

I really will appreciate all communication..

thanks

Marco Solari

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Henry,

thanks for your message...

but there is a possibilty to create a odbc connection trought print layout designer? ( i hope.. too simple to do for me )

or how i can connect a report made by crystal report to a sap printer function?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Unfortunately, you cannot connect to an external datasource in print layout designer. That is the root of the whole problem. With user reports, you can create a layout based on a user query, but this has to be created separately and you need to retrieve all the data you wish to show in a single query.

Connecting an external reporting tool to sap printer functions is more tricky than the scenario I had in mind - that is, to initiate printing completely independently from SBO client. I think you can catch the SBO print events in UI API and then initiate printing in your favorite report tool. This requires that your reporting tool of choice supports programmatic access and naturally requires that you resort to programming.

Henry

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for your information,

but you dont know if is possible use another program ...example crystal report or other to retrive the data..??

or... i dont know if my idea is correct...

have you another way to retrive my data?? i need to insert a price in a sales offer ( special price for BP )in a specified data period..

example

week nr. 5: price eur5,5

week nr. 6: price eur5,6

how is possible to do this?

thankss

marco

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes, you can use almost any reporting tool (Crystal Reports, MS Access, you name it...) to make the printouts you want from SAP Business One. Simply create an ODBC datasource (or whatever other connection method available for MSSQL) and retrieve the data you need directly from the database. While it is forbidden to write to the SBO tables directly, you can freely read data from them.

Direct data retrieval is a lot faster than using for instance Advanced Layout Designer, which is dependent of the slow DI API. More importantly, you're not bound with the limitations of DI API.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marco,

There is no such functionality in either the standard print layout designer nor in the advanced layout designer (I do sincerely hope that I'm wrong about this). This is one of the major problems - though definitely not the only one - with SBO printing.

As a lousy workaround, you might want to calculate the value you want with a formatted search and store it in a UDF before you print the document. I know, it sucks to add a new field for each value that is not supported by the layout designer.

Because of the disappointing pace of development in the area of SBO printouts, we have started to roll our own printout solutions using a nice third-party print component in our add-ons. While we lose on the level of integration, at least we can get the printouts exactly as we want them and we don't have to deal with the frustratingly clumsy UI of the layout designer.

Henry