cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some Information about SAP MI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Friends,

I am struggling to find the answers of few questions regarding sap MI .

1. What are the supported mobiles for running a MI application .Can it also run on simple mobile phones with GPRS connection.

2. How does the MI application adjust itself to the screen dimensions of the mobile coz screen sizes in all mobiles are different.

3. How does the MI application handles the f4 search help coz it contains lots of entries and its appereance is different on different mobiles.

4. How can we publish the existing sap transactions from ecc server on to the mobile through MI. Do we need to create new screens and business logic as per the mobile or MI automatically converts the sap standard screens according to the mobile and can we use the existing business logic..

5.I am having a license of ECC server. What additional license I need to buy to develop MI applications.

6. The mobile phone has limited memory and resources so how does Mi application overcomes such issues .

Please suggest. It will be a great help.

Regards

Nitesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

chintan_virani
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. What are the supported mobiles for running a MI application .Can it also run on simple mobile phones with GPRS connection.

Well it depends on the OS of your mobile. I guess till Windows Mobile 6.1 is supported. But better have a look at the PAM for mobile at https:service.sap.com/PAM

2. How does the MI application adjust itself to the screen dimensions of the mobile coz screen sizes in all mobiles are different.

Normally all applications are developed to use % size (i.e. relative size) and not absolute size (in pixels).

3. How does the MI application handles the f4 search help coz it contains lots of entries and its appereance is different on different mobiles.

The MI framework is capable of handling such requests.

4. How can we publish the existing sap transactions from ecc server on to the mobile through MI. Do we need to create new screens and business logic as per the mobile or MI automatically converts the sap standard screens according to the mobile and can we use the existing business logic..

You need to develop your own applications depending upon business requirement i.e. Online /Offline i.e in SAP terminology Always Connected / Occasionally Connected.

Also MI is infrastruture to develop Occassionally connected scenarios, for always connected Mobile Web Dynpro is preferred and there is no need of MI. WD application is able to run on mobile with certain limitations though.

5.I am having a license of ECC server. What additional license I need to buy to develop MI applications.

If you plan to develop occasionaly connected applications then you will need MI and for that there is seperate license. You will need to contact SAP Account Executive for it. Additionally if you want to have standard xApps such as MAM then there is additional license cost.

6. The mobile phone has limited memory and resources so how does Mi application overcomes such issues .

As I mentioned earlier nothing required on mobile for Always Connected while for OC applications the phones usually have flash memory cards and internal memory as well.

Chintan

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Regarding the query "5.I am having a license of ECC server. What additional license I need to buy to develop MI applications"

Basically if you wish to use NW Mobile for building occassionaly connected apps, you need Netweaver license and within NW there is no seperate license for Mobile. and further pricing is based on the number of backend users is what I guess.

Regards,

Liji

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Chintan/Abhijit the reply was usefull.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nitesh,

You mentioned SAP MI so i assumed that you are talking about SAP Mobile Infrastructure 2.5 or 7.0.

> 1. What are the supported mobiles for running a MI application .Can it also run on simple mobile phones with GPRS connection.

SAP MI runs on Creme JVM which is only supported on Windows CE devices.

Thats why SAP Supports only Windows Mobile 2003,2005 devices for MI and not any other mobile devices.

> 2. How does the MI application adjust itself to the screen dimensions of the mobile coz screen sizes in all mobiles are different.

MI supports two UI technologies. JSP and AWT.

The size is automatically the size of the screen on the device available.

In JSP mode the size is determined by the Pocket Internet Explorer

In AWT the screen size of the device is the size of the MI client window.

MI itself does not have lot of UI elements so its not issue with MI.

But application develper has to take care while designing the screen for the application.

> 3. How does the MI application handles the f4 search help coz it contains lots of entries and its appereance is different on different mobiles.

MI does not have inbuilt support for f4 help.

It has to be custom coded by Application Developer.

Means application developer will have to write the code to show the f4 search help.

> 4. How can we publish the existing sap transactions from ecc server on to the mobile through MI. Do we need to create new screens and business logic as per the mobile or MI automatically converts the sap standard screens according to the mobile and can we use the existing business logic..

You need to create everything from scratch.

MI does not generated anything.

MI has its own way of application development.

Download and install the MDK plugin from [https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/downloads?rid=/library/uuid/601ebf90-0201-0010-eda9-ea7d7d95f38c|https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/downloads?rid=/library/uuid/601ebf90-0201-0010-eda9-ea7d7d95f38c]

It contains help for developing new applications.

> 5.I am having a license of ECC server. What additional license I need to buy to develop MI applications.

I am not sure of the answer for this questions

> 6. The mobile phone has limited memory and resources so how does Mi application overcomes such issues .

This totally depends on business scenario.

If scenarion involves large amount of data then customers need to buy devices with that much amount of memory.

MI also can be run on Compact Flash Card but there is some performance hit.

Thanks & Regards,

Abhijit

Edited by: Abhijit Suresh Shingate on Oct 22, 2009 2:09 PM