cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Startup fails after changing SAPR3 default password via BRTOOLS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

We had done a system refresh some time ago where in PPH system was source (prod) and Q47 system was the target (QA). We had set the sapr3 schema password as sap (default password). The system Q47 was started and running fine. However now there is a request to change the default password for sapr3 as per security guidelines. We changed the password successfully via brtools so that it changes the DB password as well as makes an entry in the SAPUSER table. However, after changing the password, R3trans -d fails with a returncode 12. SAP application is not able to start giving the same return code. Hence we have reverted back to the original password and the system was able to start again.

The question is has it got anything to do with the system refresh? I say this because the owner of the SAPUSER table is OPS$PPHADM instead of OPS$Q47ADM.

Some of the info which you may need:

DB - Oracle 9.2.0.5

SID - Q47

SAP version - SAP R/3 Enterprise

Best Regards,

Anup..

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Here you have mentioned schema owner as SAPr3, then the owner and SAPUSER content shoud be SAPR3.

I suggest to drop SAPUSER table and recreate with entries SAPR3, sap.

Check the owner of table T000, that should be SAPR3.

After getting your sap started change the password of SAPR3 from BRTOOLS.

*Follow SAP Note 400241

regards

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

I have checked the owner for T000 table and it is sapr3. As per the SAP note 400241, the owner of SAPUSER table should be OPS$SIDADM and it contains the password details for SAPR3 schema. However in our case, the SAPUSER table owner is OPS$PPHADM (PPH was SID of source system) instead of OPS$Q47ADM since Q47 is the SID.

The SAPUSER content is correct wherein it stores password for SAPR3..

Regards,

Anup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anup,

The SAPUSER table must exist in the schema of OPS$Q47ADM. Normally I would expect brconnect -f chpass to handle the creation of the table, but I have recently had some problems where brconnect did not complain, apart from some meaningless warning, but did not create the table.

The following should definitely work:

(log on as q47adm)
sqlplus /
create table SAPUSER (userid varchar2(255), passwd varchar2(255));
exit

brconnect -u / -c -f chpass

sqlplus /
select * from sapuser;
exit

R3trans -d -w /dev/tty
=> should now work

Try this out and let us know.

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.. The issue is apparently resolved. I have managed to change the password and system is working fine!

I created the table SAPUSER under OPS$Q47ADM.. Then changed the password via brtools. It has successfully updated the password into OPS$Q47ADM.SAPUSER table in the encrypted format.

For reference: Earlier it used to update password into OPS$PPHADM.SAPUSER while now it is updating in both.

Earlier:

BR0280I BRCONNECT time stamp: 2009-10-22 14.54.20

BR0829I Password changed successfully in database for user SAPR3

BR0830I Password changed successfully in table OPS$PPHADM.SAPUSER for user SAPR3

Now:

BR0280I BRCONNECT time stamp: 2009-10-22 15.03.22

BR0829I Password changed successfully in database for user SAPR3

BR0830I Password changed successfully in table OPS$PPHADM.SAPUSER for user SAPR3

BR0830I Password changed successfully in table OPS$Q47ADM.SAPUSER for user SAPR3

Thanks a ton!!

Best Regards,

Anup.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you all for the help!