cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Data Arvhiving: Standard Vs Opentext

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

Currently we have a 2TB database with the 15Gb growth rate. All these years there was no archiving solutions implemented. Now as we are going for an upgrade we are looking to have the archiving mechanism in place.

We contacted SAP for a solution and they are strongly recommending Open Text Archiving as if to suggest that there is no use in going for standard archiving. In their sales presentation they have given a comparative study between these two methods. Here is my problem. In that we can agree to many things like better security, compliance and all... But they say we get only 15 to 20% of compression compared to 60-70%(with open text)

please go thru the [presentation|http://www.yousendit.com/download/Z01NTkZpd0krV3cwTVE9PQ|OpenText Document Access and Archiving.pdf] for your reference

My question is what is the actual compression ratio in the standard archiving process.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

We have done the standard archiving of SAP in our orginisation. It's a long project like implementation.

How much data you want to archive from the archival object , it's depends upon the business process and which table or object need to archive . If you archive the SAP object you should reorg the database also to reclaim the space. Open text is a good method to read the data from the archived document, however some standard t-code also facilitate this and also consult your ABAP developer.

Regards,

Debiprasad

former_member66264
Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't get it? Archiving objects are archiving objects ?

Only diff is where you store the files, and yes maybe opentxt will even compress more but why would you bother?

STandard you wil compress 1/5 to 1/10 Meaning that 10 G in DB will be reduced to 1 GB on disk. ( that's most optilmal)

compare the opentext cost with the disk cost then make a decission

the link to the presenation is not valid anymore: can you resend?