cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration of Dialog Instance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings.,

Can someone please provide some insights on what kind of configuration is needed after the installation of a Dialog Instance before it can be fully functional in a Production environment ? I have installed a DI and was able to start it successfully and run for a day. But this was going with the default configuration.

Going into the future, we are plan to schedule all the jobs on the DI and the users would log in to the CI as before. In other words, I am looking for a base line or a guide for the configuration of the DI before it can be used as a fully functional DI in the Production environment and not result in Memory Dumps etc.

I am expecting the following

1. Configure the parameters from the CI instance profile into the DI instance profile (eg Dialog and Background wp)

2. Configure Memory Parameters

Not sure if there is anything other than this that needs to be taken care of. I would appreciate it if someone could list out things that I might have missed. Also, how do you establish a baseline for the Memory Parameters. The DI definitely does not have the same memory. So not all the parameters can be mirrored.

Below are the details that I think are relevant. Please feel free to ask for the ones that you think I missed.

Physical memory in the CI : 60 Gb

Physical memory in the DI : 36 Gb

Central Instance (ABAP + JAVA)

SGA (max) = 16 Gb

Number of Dialog workprocesses 19(day) 10(night)

Number of Background workprocesses 11 (day) 20 (night)

ztta/roll_area 6500000

ztta/roll_extension 13000000000

abap/heap_area_dia 6000000000

abap/heap_area_nondia 6000000000

abap/heap_area_total 8000000000

abap/heaplimit 40000000

abap/buffersize 800000

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Kunal

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As a rough measure set the parameter according to the RAM size in DI.

What I mean , suppose param x= 25 in CI, then in DI you can set the param X= 25*36/60. i,e you can calculate your DI params by multiplying the same from CI with a factor of 36/60.

What is your OS? For windows you can check note 88416. Zero Administration Mem Managaement.

With your RAM size you can increase the number of both DIALOG and BGD workprocess.

Best way of using your DIALOG instance is using Logon Load Balancing. In that case when an user will try to login , he will be placed in a server ( CI or DI) which has less amount of load that time. Try tcode SMLG. table RZLLICLASS

For RFC connection, you can create RFC load Balancing. Check RZ12, table RZLLITAB

If you want to scheduled all the background jobs in DI, then during schduling the job , you have to specify the server name. But here again, best way is to use Server group. Let SAP decides which server has better response at a particular time.

Regarding memory param, you should check /test throughly for any potential problem before usgin DI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kunal,

Try the following:

1. Go to transaction SMLG, and press F6. Delete the entry REL_PATCHNO for the patch level with the incorrect patch level.

2. Restart app server, after making sure that it is at the same Kernel level as the CI.

Post processing:

1. Copy buffer, login details, password details etc from CI profile over to new app instance profile

2. Import the new profiles in RZ10

3. Add updates spool and more dialogs/batches

4. Add op modes for day and night

5. Add new instance to the login group PUBLIC to enable load balancing

6. Checked the buffer synchronisation parameter is set correctly in default profile.

7. Check all profiles to make sure nothing has been missed out.

Cheers

Rishi