Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAD - printer tray problem

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a lexmark printer with 3 trays.

I created 3 windows shares with each default tray1, tray2 and tray3.

If I print in windows it is printed on the correct share.

I created 3 printers in SAP using "C" to the windows shares. But when I print through SAP tray 1 is always used.

Who can explain this ?

Thank you

BUD

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hallo

Have you tried another Lexmark driver in SAP?

Regards

Elmo

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Bud,

If the Output Device is defined with a Device Type that supports the printer's language (ie. Postscript or PCL), then the windows printer settings are ignored and all settings are taken directly from the R/3 created print file or taken from the printer's defaults (not windows defaults).

If you are using a PCL based device type such as hplj4 or one of the lexmark device types, then you can control the tray by specifying the escape sequence in the 'Printer Initialization' section of the device type - format. The printer should have a manual which provides the sequences which should be similar to the one for an HP LaserJet 4 (tray order could be different):

TRAY1 \e&l8H

TRAY2 \e&l1H

TRAY3 \e&l4H

If you are printing with sapscript or smartforms, there is a print specification section for each page where you can specify TRY01 or TRY02, for example to specify which tray print control to use. Of course this only works correctly if the print controls for TRY## print controls are all maintained with the correct sequences in the device type definition.

As easy solution might be to use the 'sapwin' device type in your printer definition. Leave your printer definition as is (using access method C), except change the device type to 'sapwin'. With this device type the windows print driver is utilized and should allow the printer tray settings in the windows defintion to take effect.

Regards,

Nathan Swenson

SAP Development Support

Former Member
0 Kudos

the device driver default is picked, in order to change this u can write a sapcript for this