cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XI: How to monitor Everything ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi! I have the following issue...

The interfaces my employeer has are simple but their are a lot!, we have many monitoring problems, as far as it goes we have these problems...

Stucked ABAP queues ( only seen in transaction SXMB_MONI in XI )

Stucked JAVA queues ( only seen in message monitoring of RWB )

Mapping Errores... (only seen in transacction SXMB_MONI of XI (central pipeline) )

Communication channel errors... (only seen in communication channel monitoring )

Communication error with R3 ( SXMB_MONI of XI or SXMB_MONI in R3 )

In conclusion we have 4 monitors to watch

SXMB_MONI in R3

SXMB_MONI in XI

Message monitoring in RWB

Communication channel monitoring in RWB

IS THERE ANY STANDARD WAY TO DO A CENTRALIZED MONITORING?

IS THERE ANY NON-STANDARD WAY? ( for example creating a Z message monitoring, using BPM to inform errors, etc )

As I see it all the monitors are unbundled or very separate from each other wich complicates the monitoring of the whole system.

Thanks.

Mariano Billinghurst.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

one option is alerts. But it cannot ensure that you monitor things on a system level. Alerts are more on a interface level.

If you are looking for a global monitoring capability i.e system, interface, process level etc then use solution managers monitoring capability

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Shabarish, do you have a link or somthing to start investigate on how to use solution manager to do this, we have solution manager but no one know on how to use it to monitor XI.

Thanks

Mariano

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

First of all, there is no Standard way of doing this at present. Various engines on PI have to be checked separately. If you have CCMS alert configured in your landscape, then you can capture even queue level alerts which could be notified to an administrator at single site. Even after getting alerts. XI Alerts could be managed in various ways for instance business process specific alerts. In this case rules could be namespace specific.

However, even if you raise alerts, this wouldn't actually mean that you don't have to monitor the systems. Leaving system without monitoring and trusting only on alerts could be very harmful. You have to enter each monitoring tool unfortunately

Or else wait for a year or so. SAP will come up with NetWeaver Administrator as the central monitoring point including all monitoring facilities of PI. Lets hope it arrives soon.

Regards,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey

There is no need to monitor each and every component in PI.

Infact we hardy every monitor PI components in production regularly.Simply configure CCMS alerts ,this will monitor everything from stuck queues in ABAP/Java stack to failed message processing in ABAP/Java stack.

CCMS will monitor pretty much everything you need.Just configure those components in CCMS which you effectively need to look at,specify the user ID of the person who is to be informed in case of any error.

You will get e-mails as soon as any error happens ,you don't need to keep on monitoring PI regularly.

CCMS can be configured on solution Manager (a little tedious to implement here ) or can be done on PI server itself (easier to do it here).

There is a series of blogs on SDN which tell step by step process to configure CCMS,please look for them

Thanks

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Aamir, my concern is also about detecting errors in Sender Communication Channels (when there is no message created yet).

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks.

Mariano,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mariano,

CCMS is the simple answer to your problem. But take into account that SAP recommends that you use as the CEN (Central Monitoring System) a system reserved only for monitoring and system management. You should not use a production system for this purpose, to avoid unnecessary load on the system.

As for errors in the communication channel before the message is persisted, I don't think they will show up in CCMS. But it's logical. If you have a sender SOAP comm channel and a message is rejected because, for example:

- wrong user name / password

- XML validation fails

it is the responsability of the sender party to try again and resend the message after fixing the possible errors. It's not the middleware responsability. But I'm not sure if you could get alerts in CCMS for this.

Kind regards,

Jorge

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mariano,

if you are talking about channel monitoring ..then Follow the below steps

GOTO ->RWB->COMPONENT Monioring -> then Double click on Adapter Engine -> Next click on Communication channel monitoring

the add the channel name which u want to check ...specify the direction wheter its sender or receiver channel for ur above case it should be sender channel ...and at the end press the USE FILTER Button .....!

pls go through links in sdn u can find many .....!

Good luck

Aziz ..!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jorge, in that case its ok what you say but think this scenario:

A JDBC Sender with a fix SQL sentence to select some information, if there is for example a communication problem with the database the it IS responsability of XI to inform it , right ?

Thanks.

Mariano.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Aziz thanks for yout response, I am aware about de CC monitor but we are talking about alerts.

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>if there is for example a communication problem with the database

If there is any problem with the database then the communication channel will fail to pick data from it resulting in error, this will trigger e-mail if CCMS is configured.

Please remember that there should atleast be some kind of error for CCMS (or any alert mechanism) to trigger alert e-mails,if the error is such that XI is not aware of it ,then no e-mails will be triggered .

Thanks

Aamir

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excelent! now i know everything I needed to know.

Thanks to all.

Regards.

Mariano Billinghurst.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excelent! now i know everything I needed to know.

Thanks to all.

Regards.

Mariano Billinghurst.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I would recommend you to configure and start using NWAPI which is one place to monitor whole PI activities whether it's ABAP level or Java level. It's highly recommended tool and exclusive for PI central monitoring.

NWPI is an Entry point for monitoring an entire SAP NetWeaver PI system landscape comprising ABAP and Java systems

You may refer to below SAP help link that helps in understanding the whole concept of NWAPI.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/EN/45/c7ca8e89e45592e10000000a1553f7/frameset.htm

Regards

Sekhar

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mariano

IS THERE ANY STANDARD WAY TO DO A CENTRALIZED MONITORING?

If you configured alerts for every interface and routed to Single email server, Might be it possible.

Then we reduce the time to monitoring all levels.If found E mail alert for particular error, Then we can monitor on that area only.

Regards,

Sateesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sateesh, thank you for your reply, let me ask you one more thing.

The alerts work for all theese cases... ?

1) A sender JDBC has a communication error with the DB ( no message created yet)

2) A proxy sender has a communication between R3 and XI

3) A mapping problem

4) A message has status ON HOLD in message monitoring of RWB

Thanks

Mariano.

rajasekhar_reddy14
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Configuring alerts for all the interfaces it not a advisable at all,use RWB only to monitor the scenarios my advice..:)