cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

setup EWA for portal

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all,

i am trying to set up EWA for portal systems thru solution manager ehp1 sp20. for this, i have read the notes 976054 and 1332428 as well but did not find them very helpful. also followed the guide "system landscape setup for solution manager EHP1". now i'm thoroughly confused and going around in circles. following is what i've done so far only on SOLUTION MANAGER.

1. performed the initial and basic configuration in solution manager with the exception of BI nodes as we do not have BI systems in our landscape.

are the nodes "Activate BI Source System & Bi Authorization Concept" relevant for EWA setup here?

2. installed and configured the wily introscope 8 successfully (downloaded files ISAGENT8SP01_00-10007435.SAR and ISAGENTSMD8SP01_00-10007435.SCA)

3. proceeded to managed system configuration where i am stuck.

now how and where do i proceed from here? also, what is diagnostics made up of.... is it a single file or a combination of different files? do i have to install the files mentioned in point 2 ON the portal system as well?

any guidance is greatly appreciated.

kind regards,

Amer.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amer,

Please read Note 976054 - Availability of EWA for Non ABAP components. To this note there is a document attached how you can setup EWA for non-ABAP components. If you want the EWA to be complete, please note that the system should be monitored by diagnostics. The EWA will use the collected data.

You indeed install the Wily agent on the remote system, which will be monitored by SM, in your case the portal. This agent will connect to SM to report it's data. You can find all this information on http://service.sap.com/diagnostics

Edited by: J. Hellemons on Oct 21, 2009 2:56 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

many thanx for your reply. i have gone thru the attached guide but i believe it pertains to versions before EHP1.

what i have understood from your msg is that i have to install the wily introscope agent on my portal system. till now, i have installed wily introscope only on my solution manager system. in fact, all the configuration uptil now has been done ONLY on the solution manager system.

besides the wily agent, do i have to install other things on my portal system? also, how can i check the link for diagnostics on my solution manager system...... i mean is it some web address like http://hostname.com/smd or .........?

kind regards,

Amer.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amer,

The guide attached to the note is indeed outdated (2008), but it can still be used, as most of the items described in there are still valid. Perhaps some screens have been changed in the meanwhile.

The agent is indeed installed on the portal system in this case. The data collected by the agent is sent to your Wily INtroscope Manager tool. Besides the Wily agent, make sure the Diagnostics agent is installed/running there as well, this will be used by diagnostics. Nowadays this agent is installed automatically when installing your SAP system.

Since you are running EHP1 (SP20), you can start the diagnostics url from tcode SOLMAN_WORKCENTER and select the Root Cause Analysis tab (Make sure you have the correct role). If you want to start it directly, use the following URL:

http://<hostname>:5<instance number>00/smd

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

many thanx for your reply. i have now installed the wily agent on the portal system but there's a little confusion with respect to the diagnostics agent. the path that i have followed on the SAP Marketplace is

Support Packages and Patches > Entry by Application Group > SAP Technology Components > SAP SOLUTION MANAGER > SAP SOLUTION MANAGER 7.0 EHP 1 > Entry by Component > Agents for managed systems:

a) DIAGNOSTICS AGENT 7.11 (for NW systems on EHP1)

b) SMD AGENT 7.00

since our enterprise portal system is EP 7.0, do i have to install the SMD agent 7.00? or do i go with 7.11?

kind regards,

Amer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amer,

download the 7.00 version. However did you check whether it was not automatically installed when you installed the Portal? (don't know exactly as of which release this is). Check whether the following path exists on the server where your portal is running:

/usr/sap/SMD

/usr/sap/SMD/exe

/usr/sap/SMD/J98

/usr/sap/SMD/SYS

Also check whether the user smdadm is present on the system. If these exist, this means the agent is already present on your system, and you only need to register it to your SOLMAN system.

If the agent is not present, you will need to install it using SAPINST, see below document:

https://websmp202.sap-ag.de/~sapidb/011000358700000952852009E

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

actually, i did not do any of the installations at my company. i came on board recently. the portal was installed sometime early 2008 which is why im pretty much in the dark right now. i just did the upgrade on solution manager from SP17 to EHP1 (SP20).

i checked the path /usr/sap/... but there is no SDM directory as well as no sdmadm user. as you say, this means that the diagnostics agent is not installed on the portal. i have downloaded both the files as written in my previous post. will install and let you know of the results.

many thanx for ur advice.

Amer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i placed the diagnostic agent files in /tmp/EWA/SMDAGENT/..... and downloaded the installation master and unicode kernel as instructed in the guide. i placed both in /tmp/EWA/..... and called sapinst from the path BS_2005_SR3_SAP_Installation_Master/IM_HPUX_IA64/sapinst.

the first error to come up was

"product.catalog is not a valid control.xml file".

i bypassed the error by following the link then started sapinst but stopped at the next step. now the error is

"Node /tmp/EWA/BS_2005_SR3_SAP_Installation_Master/IM_HPUX_IA64/NW04S/WEBAS/IND does not exist".

what is the error here? how do i proceed further with diagnostics installation?

kind regards,

Amer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amer,

Are all your environments variables set correctly?

setenv DISPLAY

setenv SAPINST_JRE_HOME

setenv JAVA_HOME

setenv TMP

umask 022

Try running /tmp/EWA/BS_2005_SR3_SAP_Installation_Master/IM_HPUX_IA64/sapinst -extract

Afterwards try to start sapinst again.

Let me know if it works.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

yes... all my environment variables are set correctly. however, i found that the error was due to upper case and lower case letter mismatch on unix. besides this, there were several files that had to be shifted within the directories to get sapinst running. i dont know if this is regular in diagnostics installations or our hp-ux system. anyway, i resolved this issue for the time being. now there is another problem.

the guide says to download the unicode kernel for NW 7.0 SR3 from the following path:

"Installations and Upgrades > Entry by Application Group > SAP NetWeaver > SAP NETWEAVER > SAP NETWEAVER 7.0 > Installation and Upgrade > HP-UX > Oracle"

i have downloaded the correct file but sapinst throws an exception when it comes to read the label.asc file. the exact text is as below.

"You entered: /sapinst/EWA/NW_7.0_SR3_Kernel_HP_UX__SOLARIS...

Unable to find a LABEL.ASC.+. ( look for label SAP:AKK:700:UKERNEL::HPUX_IA64:)"

instead of the above, the label.asc file that came with the downloaded kernel reads

"SAP:AKK:700:DVD_KERNEL:SAP Kernel 700:D51033505"

any suggestions / ideas?

kind regards,

Amer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per installation document search for the following dvd's. Search for the DVD numbers:

HP-UX NW 7.11 Inst.Mst./Kernel HP-UX 51036471

HP-UX NW CE 7.1 EHP1 HP/IA64 Kernel, Inst. (incl. MaxDB RDBMS) 51036016

Search Results 1 - 3 of total 3

000001 View content info Add to download basket 51036016_1 NW CE 7.11 HP-UX on IA64 64bit 1 of 3

CD

000002 View content info Add to download basket 51036016_2 NW CE 7.11 HP-UX on IA64 64bit 2 of 3

CD

000003 View content info Add to download basket 51036016_3 NW CE 7.11 HP-UX on IA64 64bit 3 of 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i have successfully installed the diagnostics agent on our portal system. now im running the managed system wizard to assign the diagnostics agent to the system. however, the only status i get on the portal system is a flag with the remark "the SMD agent cannot be found".

i restarted the portal system for the agent to take effect. then i also stopped the smd agent, killed all processes and restarted the agent. this time i got the message "FAIL: NIECONN_REFUSED (Connection refused), Waiting for Child Processes to terminate". after a gap of couple of minutes, i entered the command "./smdstart.sh 98" and got the result "ERROR: diagnostics agent already running for SMD / 98".

now when i run the managed system setup wizard again, it still gives the previous error "the SMD agent cannot be found... Please assign or install the SMD agent on hostname".

how do i assign the agent to the managed system? is there any documentation / note related to this?

kind regards,

Amer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can ignore the FAIL: NIECONN_REFUSED error. Is the agent running and is it registered to your SOLMAN, if you check in Agent Administration?

It is normal that you have to assign the agent when it is first registered to SOLMAN. In agent administration you probably will see <no server name> for this agent. You can assign this agent to a server when running the managed system setup. This is a one-ff action.

When starting the managed system setup, in the right side of the screen, open up details of the server by clicking the triangle. Select the relevant agent and click Set.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i'm completely lost now. following are the errors that im facing.

1. while running configure system in managed system configuration, i executed solution manager self checks and came up with the following errors:

a) Software with prerequisite are incorrect : Found SOLMANDIAG 7.01 with sp level 3, minimum sp level required is 4.

b) Software with prerequisite are incorrect : Found SAP J2EE ENGINE CORE 7.01 with sp level 3, minimum sp level required is 4.

--- i checked my solman system info and i have the correct sp level 4 for both.

2. when i start my smd agent, i get the text "ERROR: diagnostics agent already running for SMD / 98".

3. where do i find the tab for agent administration?

4. i CANNOT see any agent running in the following path ""diagnostics setup > managed systems > setup wizard > system selection > setup parameters". all i get is a flag with the remark "the SMD agent cannot be found".

5. to assign the diagnostic agent, i'm following the path "diagnostics setup > managed systems > setup wizard > system selection > setup parameters. after i enter system install path and instance path for the agent, i get the error "the SMD agent cannot be found... Please assign or install the SMD agent on hostname". when i check the status of the smd agent, its running.

what do i do?

greatly appreciate your help. i wish i could send you screenshots of these errors which would give you a better idea on where im stuck.

kind regards,

Amer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. while running configure system in managed system configuration, i executed solution manager self checks and came up with the following errors:

a) Software with prerequisite are incorrect : Found SOLMANDIAG 7.01 with sp level 3, minimum sp level required is 4.

b) Software with prerequisite are incorrect : Found SAP J2EE ENGINE CORE 7.01 with sp level 3, minimum sp level required is 4.

--- i checked my solman system info and i have the correct sp level 4 for both.

If your SOLMAN patch levels are correct, ignore this. Do you get this when running pre-req checker?

2. when i start my smd agent, i get the text "ERROR: diagnostics agent already running for SMD / 98".

If it is running, then it's OK. You can check by running command ps -ef|grep J98 on unix/linux. Also you can run the following program, to see if it is up and running: /usr/sap/SMD/J98/script/smdadmin.sh

3. where do i find the tab for agent administration?

From SOLMAN_WORKCENTER > Root Cause Analysis > Agent Administration. You can also enter the url directly in the browser:

http://<host>:<icm http port>/webdynpro/dispatcher/sap.com/tcsmdnavigation/StandaloneApp?APP_ID=ADMIN_AGENT

4. i CANNOT see any agent running in the following path ""diagnostics setup > managed systems > setup wizard > system selection > setup parameters". all i get is a flag with the remark "the SMD agent cannot be found".

Check in Agent administration if it is up and running. Also check with the tool from step 2. Furthermore check the log files of the agent, located at /usr/sap/SMD/J98/SMDAgent/log

5. to assign the diagnostic agent, i'm following the path "diagnostics setup > managed systems > setup wizard > system selection > setup parameters. after i enter system install path and instance path for the agent, i get the error "the SMD agent cannot be found... Please assign or install the SMD agent on hostname". when i check the status of the smd agent, its running.

This indicates to me that the agent has not registered successfully to your SOLMAN system. Please check steps above, and see if you see the agent registered.

Edited by: J. Hellemons on Nov 4, 2009 3:23 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

with the help of your advice, i have successfully configured and added the diagnostics agent. i can see the agent in /smd as well as in /sld. i'm now at the end of setup. there are just 2 errors coming.

1. Publishing of resource SapAgentConfig.xml to SMD Agent failed.

Failed to configure EP Agent.

!! Exception : java.lang.NullPointerException

2. Support User 'SAPSUPPORT' exists on the system with a different case : 'sapsupport'. It is strongly recommended to use the same case. Please delete user and run Monitored Setup again.

for point 2, i figure that the user is in lower case in visual admin. i dont know where this user is being used presently. is it advisable to delete the user as suggested by setup? or is there a workaround for this?

many thanx.

kind regards,

Amer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The user SAPSUPPORT is being used (as the name suggests) by SAP Support, when you require help, and they need to remotely login to your system. The setup procedure checks whether the user is present in your user master store. Depending on how your system is setup, you can create/change the user either on the ABAP side (if this is where your user master is located), or change it in the portal. Re-run the setup and it should be OK.

As for the first error, check whether the agent is attached to the managing system. Via Agent Administration > Agents Candidates, attached the agent to your SOLMAN system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

for the first error, the agent is attached to the solution manager system. this is what i checked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SLD / SMD view in agent candidate management:

hostname: portal

SID: SMD

Nr: 98

Managing System: SPR.Solman

State: Connected (Green light)

Laststartup time: 05 Nov 2009 08:47:09

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

for the second, it is not actually an error but a warning message by SAP setup to have the user "sapsupport" in upper case letters. the user is being called from our LDAP. i have asked our sys admins to change to upper case as recommended by SAP.

i tried running setup again and the error changed to below.

Step Wilyhost Agent Details:

Connection to SMDAgent "portal" could not be established!

Reason: Smd agent Service 'Implementation as null of object entities:com.sap.smd.agent.application.wilyhost.WilyHostService is not available' not available.

Exceptions:

at com.sap.smd.core.runtime.Runtime.getService(Runtime.java:167)

at com.sap.smd.agent.AgentContext.getService(AgentContext.java:549)

at com.sap.smd.agent.AgentContextp4_Skel.dispatch(AgentContextp4_Skel.java:235)

at com.sap.engine.services.rmi_p4.DispatchImpl._runInternal(DispatchImpl.java:319)

at com.sap.engine.services.rmi_p4.DispatchImpl._run(DispatchImpl.java:200)

at com.sap.engine.services.rmi_p4.DispatchImpl.run(DispatchImpl.java:716)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

appreciate your help.

kind regards,

Amer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

wilyhost.WilyHostService is not available' not available.

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but is your Wily Enterprise Manager running?

/usr/sap/ccms/wilyintroscope/bin/EMctrl.sh status

Also check the logging: /usr/sap/ccms/wilyintroscope/logs/IntroscopeEnterpriseManager.log

You can also check this via: http://<host>:<port>/webdynpro/dispatcher/sap.com/tcsmdnavigation/SmdNavigation

and select the Wily tab. Hope this helps

Former Member
0 Kudos

stating the obvious is okay as it is, you've really helped me out a lot with my solman system...

i have found SAP note 1371891 which advises to update the patch level of LM-SERVICE 7.01 SP04 for resolution of this error. im now in the process of doing this and will get back to you with the results.

many thanx,

Amer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, it's always important to keep this on the latest version, this saves a lot of frustration

Good luck, and let me know the outcome.

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i have successfully finished the managed system setup wizard all lights are now green. going forward, i started managed system configuration and this time, the diagnostics prerequisites check was also successful. now im trying to setup the introscope agent. the setup successfully retrieved the server node settings, agent name, agent profile, agent version and was showing the agent running with the green flag. however, when i clicked APPLY to setup the agent to the J2EE server node, i got the following error.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Operation failed - com.sap.engine.services.rmi_p4.exception.P4BaseConnectionException: Connection lost.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

how do i resolve this? from where can i check the logs for this error?

kind regards,

Amer.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Check the trace files in your work directory to see if you get any additional information, once the error occurs. Furthermore have a look in the wily logs directory: /usr/sap/ccms/wily/logs

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

i checked the logs but could not really find the error properly. i tried setting up the introscope agent again. this time, the ISAgent State colum got updated to show "needs restart". below is what came up in "last operation results".

> information retrieval from system java -

> operation succeeded

>> ISagent settings retrieval Portal - 5841550 - server0 -

> operation succeeded

>>> ISagent settings retrieval Portal - 5841550 -

> remote operation succeeded

after this, i restarted the portal system and ran managed system setup again. now the ISAgent State colum shows "running" along with a green light. proceeding further, i added the logical components and finished the managed configuration. however, upon refresh, the "connection generated" checkbox for the portal system shows blank (not ticked). does this mean that something is incomplete or that the introscope agent is not setup properly?

many thanx for your advice.

kind regards,

Amer.