cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DB13 Check DB performances

Former Member
0 Kudos

The Check DB via DB13 is getting more than 6 hours to complete on our Sap system.

It's and ECC6 with the database size about of 300GB, at latest kernel for Sap and SP level for Ms-Sql.

The hardware is really well sized and it seems not a problem due to missing resources (8CPU, 32GB memory).

We ned to know if there is a way to speed up this process, and to understand why it takes so much.

Any advise ?

Regards

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> The Check DB via DB13 is getting more than 6 hours to complete on our Sap system.

> It's and ECC6 with the database size about of 300GB, at latest kernel for Sap and SP level for Ms-Sql.

> The hardware is really well sized and it seems not a problem due to missing resources (8CPU, 32GB memory).

I don't think it's a problem of the server but rather a problem of the underlying SAN.

I'd check the SAN throughput (using e. g. perfmon) to see how long I/Os need. A check DB reads every page on the disk.

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks for the feedback.

The saposcol is running and the data are collected regularly. It's my impression too the disk accesses is slow, but I cannot provide to the customer a clear test to prove this.

The system is running well whithout errors and the Sap syslog does not contains any info or warning related to possible I/O problems.

Are there some tools, also non Sap , to test the disks performances ?

Which are the the usual threshold for the DB access time for Sap ECC60 on Ms-Sql , in order to be able to say "the DB time it's quite higher respect Sap suggestion so we need to check it better" ?

regards

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> The saposcol is running and the data are collected regularly. It's my impression too the disk accesses is slow, but I cannot provide to the customer a clear test to prove this.

You can use the Windows performance monitor for that (start - execute - perfmon).

> The system is running well whithout errors and the Sap syslog does not contains any info or warning related to possible I/O problems.

No, that won't be logged by default. You can check in ST06 the disk with the highest I/O times. A single I/O shouldn't be much longer than 10 ms to be sure it's working "nicely" (however, this can also be just a rule of thumb).

> Are there some tools, also non Sap , to test the disks performances ?

You can start process explorer (no installation necessary) to watch the I/O throughput in real time:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

There's also a simulation tool for SQL Server from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/231619/en-us

Markus

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It's my impression too the disk accesses is slow, but I cannot provide to the customer a clear test to prove this.

Go to ST04 -> I/O Performance and check the values for the datafiles. As Markus wrote everything under 10 ms is good (for OLTP systems).

Sven

Answers (0)