cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Backup Parameters

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

We using SAP ECC 6.0 , We need to take online backup using one of the External Harddisk . So I want to set some parameters for online backup in initSID.SAP file .

Kindly letme know the recommended parameter for the following two parameters .

1. Backup_type ( Online or online_cons which one i have to set ).

2. compress ( Yes or No ) Shall i take the backup in compressed mode .

Kindly advice me the above two paramaters for good backup .

Regards

PalaniSelvan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mark

Your suggested link was not working , Kindly tell me the step by step procedure for recover corrupted database .

Regards

Palaniselvan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I dont think you will get step by step process for the recovery from this forum. But you will defintely get ideas on what needs to be done and answers to your specific questions. You have to use document as suggested earlier and restore.

One option I can think of is to carry out point in time recovery if you know the point when database was ok. Bur with this method, it will be incomplete recovery. You may need to look for other scenarios based on corruption issues and importance of database.

Hope this helps.

Manoj

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Thankyou all for the explanation , noted , can you tell me how can i restore if i taking the backup into the external harddisk with online_cons and compress=yes . If the database is corrupted so i want to restore the last night backup taken to the external harddisk with online archive log mode enabled database .

kindly tell me the steps . shall i restore all the datafiles or shall i restore archive log first and then datafiles .

kindly advice me the steps.

Regards

PalaniSelvan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The proper approach is to start BRTOOLS and work through the restore & recovery menus. These menus will present the necessary actions in the correct order (diagnose database, restore datafiles, restore archive logs, recover database).

For complete information on this and other topics re Oracle database management in SAP, I strongly suggest you get the SAP Database Guide for Oracle at http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/index?rid=/library/uuid/3204a72f-0d01-0010-db84-e2335f934e88

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The link I gave you is definitely working. You have to click on "View this article" to bring up the PDF document. Please try again.

As stated in some of the other replies, giving you a detailed procedure is not possible because there are many different scenarios.

Regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. Backup_type ( Online or online_cons which one i have to set ).

It is best to use online_cons. This will include into your data backup the archive logs created while the database was in backup mode, so that you have everything you need for a consistent recovery on one backup medium. Without archive logs an Oracle online backup is worthless.

2. compress     ( Yes or No ) Shall i take the backup in compressed mode .

compress=yes will obviously save you a lot of disk space, but pay attention to the CPU load especially if you use parallel processing for your backup. The software compression is very CPU intensive so it might affect the performance of the running applications significantly.

regards,

Mark

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes , its will be good if you set both the parameters.

You will get consistent backup .

Thanks

Rahul

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>

> 1. Backup_type ( Online or online_cons which one i have to set ).

Check this [link|http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/0d/d309664a0c11d182b80000e829fbfe/content.htm]

> 2. compress ( Yes or No ) Shall i take the backup in compressed mode .

>

It should be Yes.

Thanks

Sunny