Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

leading zeros-master data

former_member188325
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We have a characteristic 'Material'(custom defined master data infoObject) of length

10,Conversion routine:ALPHA, datatype :CHAR,& output length:10.

Requirement is Material number should be displayed as 10 digit number(characters ) in Bex

report.

but for some of the materials,we don't have 10 digits for example we have a material

123(this 123 should be seen as 0000000123 in Query output).

When i am displaying infocube contents or master data contents i could see 123 as

0000000123. but with F4,it shows 123 as 123 and in Query output also as '123'

1.actually How data will be stored in infocube and master data tables? (either 123 or

0000000123)

2. one soution to display matarial as 10 char in report is with transfer/update routine by

adding leading zeros.

Is there any other way to achieve this without using routine ?kendly let me know.

correct me if my above asumption is wrong.

thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

since BW 3.0 Alpha conversion has to be used in BW for the master data. If you load with business content from R/3 alpha conversion is considered automatically. If you use customer fields, you can switch on alpha conversion in the transfer rules (scroll to the very right side).

The result is that characteristic values that do not contain characters but only numbers are stored with leading zeros. In your example it means that 123 is internally stored as 0000000123.

In reporting the alpha conversion is used for displaying the data. This means that the leading zeros are not displayed.

If you watch the data via transaction listcube there is a flag to decide, if conversions should be used for displaying the data. Check this out. If it is switched on you will see the leading zeros the other way you will not see it.

If you want to see the leading zeros in Reporting you have to arrange that alpha conversion is not used for displaying the data in BEx.

By the way - the business content material does not have the alpha conversion but the MATN1 - conversion. Maybe you ca use this one for your customer material as well.

Regards

Sven

former_member188325
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Adios,

Thanks for your reply...

<i>In reporting the alpha conversion is used for displaying the data. This means that the leading zeros are not displayed.</i>

I didnt get this.

Thanks

former_member188325
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

thing is when i display the contents of infoProvider and mastardata i can see '123' with leading zeros i.e. 0000000123. But with F4 (while before displaying inocube contents or mastardata tables data) i do see '123' as '123' only...and after displaying recoed if i double click on,it shows as '123' only..

In Query output also this material is being displayed without leading zeros.

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

In manage tab there will be option in the bottom of the screen whether to use Conversion routine or not depending on that leading will be present . that is if no conversion exit is used then leading zeros are displayed , if not used then only 123 is displayed in ur case .

Try to remove any conversion routine specified in the InfoObject Maintence screen and then execute the report.

Regards,

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Since you already use the conversion exit ALPHA all data is automatically stored with leading zeroes if you have at least release 3.0. As it was mentioned before you should remove the conversion exit ALPHA from the infoobject to get the desired effect. Note that everybody has to enter all zeroes when they fill out variables.

Best regards

Dirk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali,

the Alpha Conversion ist used to convert data between an internal and an external view. The internal view is how the data is physically stored in the database. The external is i.e. how the data is displayed in reports.

At some point the Alpha Conversion (if defined for the characteristic) is automatically used - you can not change it. This means that in this cases you can only see the external format. The BEx Reporting is one place and the F4 help another.

In some places within the BW system (no enduser view) you have the option to see the data in the internal format. One of these places ist the cube content. There you have a flag "Do not use any conversion". If this flag is activated you will see the data in the internal format. But this is NOT the format a user will see in reporting.

In your case the internal format is the value "0000000123" and the external "123".

Hope that helps

Regards

Adios

former_member188325
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thnaks for u r responses...Is there any way to display in Bex with leading zeros? i.e. 0000000123?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, you can simply remove the conversion exit from the InfoObject. It is on the General page of InfoObject maintenance under Dictionary.

Best regards

Dirk

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Does the conversion routine on the InfoObject maintenance > General page affect just how the 0material is displayed for BEx output or also how the delta 0material are input? My established 3.0B system has been storing full numeric with leading zeros and reporting with leading zeros. Those material that contain alphas are not a problem. I do not want to change internal storage '000000000000012345', I just want to report '12345'. Currently the conversion routine is MATN1.

Thanks.

Pam

Former Member
0 Kudos

go with murali and dirk answers, make sure <b>data type NUMC</b>.

then i think you will get the requied value.

<b>reason is because of convesion exit in the info object.</b>

all the best.

Regards,

Nagesh Ganisetti.

former_member188325
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pam,

You can try by removing Removing converison Exit MATN1 and assiging ALPHA in InfoObject maintainance becoz we wanted to have material number with leading zeros in Bex report and not getting with ALPHA conversion routine

pl let us know of it resolves your issue.

thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nagesh and Murali,

Thank you for your responses, but I still need to clairfy 1 issue. The conversion routine on the InfoObject, General tab is used for BEx output only? I can change it to something else and not affect my Input from R/3 and internal storage?

Thanks.

Pam

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

to have the zeroes, u don't select any conversion routine in the info object definiton.

i can send u a document on conversion routines if u can give me ur mail id.

sham'm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murli,

<i>but for some of the materials,we don't have 10 digits for example we have a material</i>

This only happens when you loaded some data without ALPHA conversion ans some with ALPHA Conversion. Check for those perticular records how the data stored in CUBE and Master Data Tables.

Hope it Helps

Srini