cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relocate DB instance to another server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to hear some advise on the procedure to relocate my DB instances.

Background:

This project is to replace the hardware where the database instances of SAP Netwevare PI/XI 7.0 are running. This is a distriguted environment. The DB instances are Oracle 10.2 running on RedHat Linux x86-64. The new hardware will be running RedHat Linux x86-64. As you can see the OS is not changing. The instance name is not changing. The Application server names IS NOT changing. However, the DB server name is changing.

Here is the altrenative that I have in mind.

1. Backup source DB

2. Restore into new server and restart.

3. Point the SAP instance to the new server. Is there a note or procedure to make this change? Is is enugh with changing only the tnsnames.ora?

I guess another alternative would be to make a system copy? What would you do if you have to relocate your DB instances?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Augusto,

Are you going to keep hostname & ip address of new box is ols box ?

If yes, then there is no much excise to do.

Thanks

Anil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, the server name and IP address are chaning. Is there a note on the steps to relacate the DB server when name and IP are changing? By the way, this is an ABAP+Java configuration

Thanks!

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Augusto,

if i understood you correct only the host of the database is changed. The ABAP and JAVA instances are still running on the same host as before?

If yes then this is pretty easy ... you can shutdown and copy the database with scp/rsync .. or if you have a shared storage you can just remap the disks to the new server.

As you described, that the hostname of the DB host will change you have to do 2 things

1) Change hostname of entries in tnsnames.ora (for more information about tnsnames check sapnote #562403)

2) Change the host connection entry in the secure store of the Java instance (http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/de/ec/9432d189c445cdacdc7e520981b4b6/content.htm / )

Regards

Stefan

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check SAP Note 403708 - Changing an IP address

SAP Note 8307 Changing host name on R/3 host: What do you do?

Thanks

Sunny

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Augusto,

If you are planning to do this on a Production environment, you might want to consider the extensive outage which will be required for restoring the DB and then starting it up.

You may want to consider building a standby DB of the current DB and then apply the logs as they are getting generated on the actual DB. This way, you can simply have to activate the standby DB once you decide to swtich to the new host.

Also, keep in mind the changes required in the tnsname.ora file and DNS change.

Hope the information above is helpful in doing a smooth migration.

Regards,

Deoraj Alok.

former_member227283
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Auguston,

After restore the recover the database on new linux box . pls follow the below 2 notes ( you have to follow just the database host chnaging part and nothing else )

Note 8307 - Changing host name on R/3 host: What do you do?

Note 757692 - Changing the hostname for J2EE Engine 6.40/7.0 installation

Any query , pls reply.

Thanks

Anil