cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a Forum / Unlimited Text

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey everyone,

i was wondering how i would go about creating a forum type WDA-Application.

where users can enter an unlimited amount of text, save it and other users can view it.

also with search capabilities etc.

basically, our team runs some tests.. and i want to create an application which allows the each member to enter issues they encountered so that other team members can view them.

also for future records.. incase the same issue is encountered, one can just do a search with a certain word and it will bring up all entries that had that word.

i was thinkin of using tables, but are there strings/char types with unlimited length or variable length depending on what the user entered.

thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks y'all,

i will try it out. i have been programming in WDA for abt a month now.

it was just that i thought it was necessary to set a limit for string.

but apparently not

i will try out the string_table, or just plain string..

thanks once again...

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

No you don't have to set a limit for the string. That would be a short string (SSTRING) in the database. With a SSTRING you do have to set an upper limit. But with STRING and RAW STRING you do not. If you want to store the entire document in the database it is probably easier to use STRING instead of STRING TABLE in the context attrribute. STRING TABLE will break each line at NEW LINE into a separate string. This can sometimes be useful, but for complete storage it is easy to just write the entire STRING into one database record. If you are really concerned about size, consider using the CL_ABAP_ZIP class to compress the data and store it as a XSTRING instead. This is probably only necessarily if you will have really large text blocks (multiple-Megabytes).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Thomas,

this is more than i asked for.. -thanks alot. i appreciate it.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi ,

1 u may create a "TEXT EDIT " Ui element in the view of ur WD Application . bind the value property of the UI element with context attribute of either string type or string_table type .

2 u can thn create a button UI element , on click of which ( in event handler on action) u can save the text in the database table

if u r new to WD ABAP , and wud like to go thru the articles , how to create the application ,pls go thru these links :

/people/thomas.jung/blog/2006/06/20/web-dynpro-abap-demonstration-videos

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/03/0048413e466e24e10000000a155106/content.htm

Main Topic Page:

http://sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/nw-wdabap#section2

Tutorials for Beginners:

[original link is broken]

eLearning Videos:

/people/thomas.jung/blog/2006/06/20/web-dynpro-abap-demonstration-videos

I hope it wud help u

regards,

amit

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

What you describe is perfectly possible. Use of the STRING data type in both the the database column and in the WD Context will result in storage of large amounts of text. Technically not totally unlimited (still have memory limits of the user session), but more than large enough for what you describe. No special programming or options have to be used/set.