cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the difference between hirarchial table and taxonomy table.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can any one explain me the difference between hirarchial table and taxonomy table. in which scenario we go for taxonomy and which scenario we go for hirarchial table.

Regards,

Venki.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venki,

By now you must be clear with Taxonomy tables, difference between the two is there is no concept of attributes in hierarchy table. Hierarchy table is used to maintain the order set of categories i.e. drop down list appears in the order you have created in Hierarchy table which is not the case with lookup flat tables. In short when you have some special attributes to be maintained with some category nodes then go for Taxonomy tables else if you only have data in hierarchal format then go for hierarchy table.

E.g.

-Printer

--DotMatrix

---300 DPI

---600 DPI

--Lazer

--Inkjet

---Colour

---Black&White

Now in above table I just want user to select the particular printer, i dont want to maintain some specific attributes related to any printer then in such cases we have to use hierarchy. If there is a need to maintain some attributes like speed for DotMatrix, Price for Lazer etc then we should have chosen Taxonomy table.

Regards,

Jitesh Talreja

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venki,

Hierarchial tables are used to maintain the parent & child relationships.

Taxonomy tables can also maintian parent & child relationship along with some specific attributes for each cateory ( It is similar to classifcation view in SAP).

Regards,

Pramod

former_member153023
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi venki,

Following are the broad differences between Hierarchy and taxonomy tables in MDM:

1)In Hierarchy table, we maintain only the product categories that are hierarchial in nature. We will maintain a hierarchy of particular field/table and products are attached to the leaf node.

Where as intaxonomy , there are attributs linked to each node of hierarchy.When a record is attched to the hierarchy node in taxonomy ,all these attributes woul be avavilable.

2)Hierarchy table is available in Hierarchy mode and taxonomy table in taxonomy mode..

there will be many more differences ,which can be found in reference guides.

Reg,

Bis

former_member153023
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi venki,

Following are the broad differences between Hierarchy and taxonomy tables in MDM:

1)In Hierarchy table, we maintain only the product categories that are hierarchial in nature. We will maintain a hierarchy of particular field/table and products are attached to the leaf node.

Where as intaxonomy , there are attributs linked to each node of hierarchy.When a record is attched to the hierarchy node in taxonomy ,all these attributes woul be avavilable.

2)Hierarchy table is available in Hierarchy mode and taxonomy table in taxonomy mode..

there will be many more differences ,which can be found in reference guides.

Reg,

Bis