Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebGUI: How to get the users IP-address

jrg_neumann
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello.

I have to develop a simple web-application, that will enable users to reset their forgotten passwords or to unlock themselves, if they are locked because of too many failed login-attempts.

As you can imagine, this application must not require a login. For security reasons any action has to be logged.

The username can not be used for logging-purposes, as the application is executed using a default-user defined in transaction SICF. That's why the IP-address of the user's pc has to be written into the log-table.

My problem is, that i do not know how to get it. I have read many articles on help.sap.com, searched in the sap notes, used Google and tried to find usefull functions in our SAP-system, but after two days it still does not work and i do'nt know, what else to try.

At the moment i am able to read the name of the client-pc with my test-coding.

DATA:    lv_webgui TYPE xfeld.

STATICS: lv_computer_name TYPE string,

lv_username TYPE string.

CLASS: cl_gui_frontend_services DEFINITION LOAD.

lv_webgui = cl_gui_frontend_services=>www_active.

IF lv_webgui EQ gc_true.

" Begin of experimental coding #1

CALL METHOD cl_gui_frontend_services=>get_computer_name

CHANGING

computer_name = lv_computer_name.

" End of experimental coding #1

" Begin of experimental coding #2

CALL FUNCTION 'ITS_ENV_GET_VARIABLE'

EXPORTING

variable = 'COMPUTERNAME'

CHANGING

value = lv_computer_name.

" End of experimental coding #2

MESSAGE s000(38) WITH lv_computer_name.

ENDIF.

The problem is, that the Internet Explorer 7 (version: 7.0.5730.13CO) shows a warning before the scripts, generated by the ITS, are executed on the client. If the user clicks "abort", the scripts are not executed and the name of the client-pc will not be returned to the server (experimental coding #1 returns the value 'localhost', experimental coding #2 returns an empty string).

That's why the experimental coding is quite useless, because the user is able to avoid it's execution.

In theory i could use experimental coding #2 and stop the execution of the program if an empty string is returned but some users in our company have administrator-privileges and so they can change environment-variables at will. So i am afraid, that this procedure is not an option.

I am quite sure, that there must be a way to read the IP-address directly from the ITS without using the functions in my experimental coding, but i have no clue how this could be done.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

As i do'nt know how to determine the version of our ITS, i have to leave this information out for the moment. If anyone needs this information it would be very kind, if he or she could tell me how to get the required information.

EDIT: As we are using SAP ECC 6.0 and Services are maintained via transaction SICF, it should be ITS 6.40.

Regards

Jörg Neumann

Edited by: Jörg Neumann on Oct 16, 2009 1:27 PM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can get the IP-address via

cl_gui_frontend_services=>GET_IP_ADDRESS

I think the main problem remains.

How to avoid the security warning in Internet Explorer.

As you say. If the do not allow it, then do not allow the transaction...

So, if you do not get an ip-address, then terminate the transaction with an error message.

Documentation from the Method:
Short text:     Gets IP Address
Functionality:  This method is used to get the IP address.

Parameters
    IP_ADDRESS (returning)      This string contains the IP address.
Exceptions
   CNTL_ERROR                   A control error occurred.
   ERROR_NO_GUI                 No GUI is available.
   NOT_SUPPORTED_BY_GUI         This method is not supported by the GUI.

7 REPLIES 7

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can get the IP-address via

I think the main problem remains.

How to avoid the security warning in Internet Explorer.

As you say. If the do not allow it, then do not allow the transaction...

So, if you do not get an ip-address, then terminate the transaction with an error message.

Documentation from the Method:
Short text:     Gets IP Address
Functionality:  This method is used to get the IP address.

Parameters
    IP_ADDRESS (returning)      This string contains the IP address.
Exceptions
   CNTL_ERROR                   A control error occurred.
   ERROR_NO_GUI                 No GUI is available.
   NOT_SUPPORTED_BY_GUI         This method is not supported by the GUI.

0 Kudos

Hello Tomas.

Thanks for your reply. I have already tested the method

but unfortunatelly this method produced a dump because of an uncaught exception (CNTL_ERROR).

Adding

EXCEPTIONS OTHERS = 0.

to the method-call avoids this dump, but the method returns an empty string.

Anyway: Five minutes ago i got the allowance to log computer-name and user-name instead of the ip-address. I still do'nt like the idea of reading data from the client using e.g. javaScript, but as i am not able to find a better way, i'll have to use it for the moment.

If anybody knows, how to get the clients IP-address directly from the ITS, further replies would be highly appreciated.

Regards Jörg Neumann

WolfgangJanzen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

> I have to develop a simple web-application, that will enable users to reset their forgotten passwords or to unlock themselves, if they are locked because of too many failed login-attempts.

> As you can imagine, this application must not require a login. For security reasons any action has to be logged.

Please don't talk of "security" in this context.

The approach you have described is totally insecure - an attacker gains unlimited number of password crack attempts by being able to bypass the lock mechanism. In days of reverse proxies and DHCP an IP address is not worth anything.

>I have have to ...

Better ask back whether this is really intended - and get a written confirmation (for your own sake).

0 Kudos

> ...an attacker gains unlimited number of password crack attempts by being able to bypass the lock mechanism.

Actually, I would prefer a DoS attack against the services and communication interfaces, perhaps with special attention to this password reset service itself and a longshot at inbound processing having been setup for workflows to reset the password.

If the log is written to the file system, then it might be advisable to first flood the file system full of twitter posts to stop the log.

> In days of reverse proxies and DHCP an IP address is not worth anything.

Oh yes, I would definately hide behind one of those as well.

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hello Wolfgang.

Thanks for your reply.

I can imagine, that the application as described above seems to be very insecure, but the description is not complete - i left some parts out, as they were not relevant for my problem.

1.) The application can only be reached from our intranet.

2.) Unlocking / Resetting password can be done three times per day, which limits the number of attemps for cracking a password to a total of 20 per day.

3.) The owner of the account will receive an email if the acount was changed by the application. So if somebody tries to crack the password, the owner of the account will get a total

3 mails per day - which should make him/her at least a litte suspicious.

I know, that the logged data is quite worthless, as computername and username are read using clientside-scripting and there could be a proxy between the client and the server, but this is exaclty, what i have to develop.

I will keep the logging-problem in mind and talk about it in the next meeting, though i am quite sure, that it wo'nt change anything.

Regards Jörg Neumann

Edited by: Jörg Neumann on Oct 19, 2009 4:57 PM

fredrik_borlie
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi.

I have also thought about getting such an application due to the fact that the end users tend to forget their passwords.

But I have discovered the wonderwul world of Single Sign On (SSO) and I just want to reflect upon that you are not really solving the problem of users forgetting their passwords, you just introduce new problems, like password hacking etc

Have you at all considered to use SSO? This really means that no passwords are used to logon to SAP.

/fredrik

0 Kudos

Hello freppe.

We are already using SSO for some of our applications, but unfortunatelly not for SAP.

As i remember, it was planned to use SSO for SAP in the (far) future, but waiting for it is not an option.

Regards Jörg Neumann