cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Availability Time Planning for communication channels

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

I have a question about this feature in PI (7.0). What is it good for?

Example: If I have set up a communication channel in integration directoiry (file adapter) and activated it at 7 a.m. to be working every 24hrs and set the channels to be available at 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. What happens?

Thanks guys,

Olian

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Basically this is a feature like scheduling of the adapter at specified interval..

Suppose your polling frequency is 2 minutes..and the availability time is one hour i.e 10 to 11 then between that time channel will start and runs as per the polling interval

once the time reaches to 11 o clock then the channel will be stopped automatically .

HTH

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

thanks for the clarification.

Do you have any idea how it would work if you'd activate the poll interval to 2 hours (let's say at 3 p.m.) so the processing should be starterd at 3,5,7,9,... but the channel would be set to be active at 4 p.m. to 4.30 p.m.?

Thanks,

Olian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh,

thanks for the clarification.

Do you have any idea how it would work if you'd activate the poll interval to 2 hours (let's say at 3 p.m.) so the processing should be starterd at 3,5,7,9,... but the channel would be set to be active at 4 p.m. to 4.30 p.m.?

Thanks,

Olian

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Olian,

In the set up you have described, the adapter would not poll any file at all.

Regards,

Ravi Kanth Talagana

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you can set the mode to either manual or automatic..but not both...

if you set manual then as per your requirement channel will run per every two hours..3,5,7,....then availability will not come in to picture here...

if you set mode to automatic then channel will start running at 4 .. then channel will not run at 3,5,7,...

you can have either manual or automatic modes..but not both...

HTH

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi & Rajesh,

you both say the opposite so decide )

Olian

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Olian,

I am not completely sure what rajesh has meant but, i still maintain my stance that there would be no files picked at all.

If the Channel is active only between 4 to 4:30 PM, and the poll interval is 2 hours, its obvious that there will be no polling done outside the Time window 4-4:30 PM.

Its like going to a Shop every 2 hours whose timings are from 4:00PM to 4:30PM only.

Regards,

Ravi

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> Hi Rajesh,

>

> thanks for the clarification.

>

> Do you have any idea how it would work if you'd activate the poll interval to 2 hours (let's say at 3 p.m.) so the processing should be starterd at 3,5,7,9,... but the channel would be set to be active at 4 p.m. to 4.30 p.m.?

>

> Thanks,

>

> Olian

you set the channel to the availability time and it would work as you mentioned for 3,5,7,9....

if you want the channel to be active at 4-4:30 also, then you will have to create another availability time and the add the channel to this one too...

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

nice example

however, it may work also like this: the channel starts to work at 4, polls 1 time and then goes off.

Olian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, so the question is, if the polling works independently from the availability time, or it is based on it.

Because when talking about the file adapter: polling 2 hrs, activated at 3 p.m.

So polling would work at 3,5,7,9,...

planning availability is set to 4-4.30 p.m.

If polling works independently from availabaility, no polling would be done

If polling would start every day at availability time, polling would run 1 time at 4

Which is correct?

former_member181962
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Olian,

On further reading, i think your second statement is correct.

Polling is dependent on Planning

I have to modify my example that you know you are going to get a phone call from the owner of the shop that the shop starts at 4..:)

I think you might have alread read this:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwpi71/helpdata/EN/45/06bd029da31122e10000000a11466f/content.htm

Regards,

Ravi

P.S: I haven't tested this myself. Just trying to help.

Will wait for other's to confirm or reject .

Former Member
0 Kudos

>

> Ok, so the question is, if the polling works independently from the availability time, or it is based on it.

>

> Because when talking about the file adapter: polling 2 hrs, activated at 3 p.m.

> So polling would work at 3,5,7,9,...

> planning availability is set to 4-4.30 p.m.

>

> If polling works independently from availabaility, no polling would be done

>

> If polling would start every day at availability time, polling would run 1 time at 4

>

> Which is correct?

Hi Olian,

if planning availability is set to even 15 minutes and polling is set to one or two hours..the channel will be started at that time and will start running ...then after the availability time completes then channel will go to stop mode...

which will be independent of the polling. here..

Hi ravi..this topic has become a hot cake here..

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Olian,

>>if the polling works independently from the availability time, or it is based on it.

It is based on it

polling 2 hrs, activated at 3 p.m.
So polling would work at 3,5,7,9,...
planning availability is set to 4-4.30 p.m.

>>If polling works independently from availabaility, no polling would be done

Yes... no polling will be done because your adapter will be unavailable before 4 and after 4.30. But as soon as adapter becomes available it will poll and pick the file, then the next poll will happen after 2 hours (and by this time the channel is unavailable)

Regards

Suraj

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Shabarish_Nair
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

/people/shabarish.vijayakumar/blog/2006/11/26/adapter-scheduling--hail-sp-19-

you should get your answers there

this is a solution for various requirements when the customer has a requirement that the ftp server should be polled for files only once a week or a data base table be polled only once for 2 hrs a day etc