cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.js includes and caching in MII 12

Former Member
0 Kudos

We are keeping all our javascript in a .js file outside the .irpt. At times when we change the .js file it is not carrying over to the .irpt. Pretty sure this is some kind of caching issue. Have tried clearing javascript cache and IE (delete files) cache and it does to resolve the issue. In MII 12 is there something in NetWeaver causing this?

Thank you in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi,

Alos try :

Right click the folder containing the file-->Refresh

and again Right click the folder-->Publish

Regards

Khaleel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

I am also having problems with users not getting css and js updates. Telling people to clear their cache is not

an option here because the production PCs are locked down TIGHT.

Trouble is that NetWeaver is setting the files to 7 day expires with NO last modified date.

The NetWeaver behavior is leading to IE not getting the updates unless you force them by clearing

the cache or clicking the browser refresh button which must also force a refresh.

So, as I don't know how to get NetWeaver to behave, and neither do my Basis guys, sigh...

You can add a parm to name of the file and change it when the file changes.

This is a pain because there is no search/refactoring/mass-edit capability in the workbench, but that

is what we are stuck with so... This works

.... script ... s r c="scripts/common.js?x=1001261036"....

.... link ...h r e f="css/style.css?x=1001261036" type="text/css" ....

--If anyone knows how to get NetWeaver to have NONE for the expires date and set a REAL last modified date, let me know.

--Amy Smith

--Haworth

0 Kudos

Amy,

That's a good suggestion and we've seen this approach used for SVG images as well to get around browser caching.

In general it's important to stay current in your MII releases since this issue is intermittent in some of the early releases of v12.1. The Right-Click and Publish option is an approach for a different issue where updated content does not Publish out to the web once it is saved in the workbench or created from an action.

Specifically, this should be resolved with the Image Saver action in the current release, but you may have to use this option until you can update to the later releases of MII. This will force MII to blowout the content of the NetWeaver DB to the NetWeaver file system so that it can be hosted properly out to the web.

Hope this helps,

Sam

Former Member
0 Kudos

Have you tried CTRL-F5 to refresh the page?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes sir.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I've been struggling with this lately (especially on Vista clients). There is a setting in IE Tools->Options to "force" new files (css, js, etc) on each page request. But, I think this doesn't help much either.

Former Member
0 Kudos

The js files are stored in your Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files (default) and sometimes IE doesn't realize the server copy has changed when the file already exists locally...

You can

A - Delete it from the local file and it will be reloaded the next time you refresh the page..

B - Set IE to Check for newer versions of stored pages Automatically (if it's currently set to Never) or to Everytime I visit the webpage.

I have never had to help my users do this, just my own machine. I don't know what the default length of time a js file still valid but seems to be several minutes using the Automatically setting.

Good Luck

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

The js files are stored in your Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files (default) and sometimes IE doesn't realize the server copy has changed when the file already exists locally...

You can

A - Delete it from the local file and it will be reloaded the next time you refresh the page..

B - Set IE to Check for newer versions of stored pages Automatically (if it's currently set to Never) or to Everytime I visit the webpage.

I have never had to help my users do this, just my own machine. I don't know what the default length of time a js file still valid but seems to be several minutes using the Automatically setting.

Good Luck

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can

Good Luck

Dennis

Former Member
0 Kudos

Don't forget that caching can occur on the server side, too....