cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Handling Units vs Handling Unit management

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

We have a particular material which either gets sold directly to the customer or gets stored in a buffer (at the end of the production line). The stock in the buffer could later either be used on a further assembly (production) order to make another material or be sold as it is to any other customer. As a global design, we run COPP1 (or a custom version) to pack the goods into HUs (according to the customer packaging requirements stored on the sales order) at the end of the production line and logically place them into the HU managed location before shipping them out, while the rest goes into a buffer. But in my

scenario they also want the delivery due list (DDL) to look at the buffer (non HU) location along with the default picking location (HU managed). The simple solution is to define a new availability check rule and have availability run at Plant level instead of location level when the DDL runs.

But our BPO wouldn't approve that...so now I'm thinking what is the value of HU managing this particular set of material at all, I mean if we are anyways going to ship it out to the customer immediately, might as well keep all stock in a non HU managed location at the end of the line and create shipping HUs (from non HU location). I guess my question is if we are physically not storing finished goods at the end of the line anywhere in our facility, what is the difference in HU managing our stock in contrast to creating shipping HUs at the time of delivery.

Regards,

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Aravind9
Participant
0 Kudos

For me Shipping Handling Units and Handling Unit management is same with different words.

Regards,

Aravind

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well HUM means you define a HU managed location and a non HU sister location, HU loc. has only packed stuff and everything goes to the non HU if unpacked.

Shipping Handling Units means you do not have any HU managed locations, you just pack goods on the outbound delivery in a regular location and ship them out.

Answers (0)