cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapping the IFS from a Windows 2003 service

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are trying to install Esker inbound faxing. The process involves their software receiving a file to a Windows server and transfering the file directily to the IFS using a service. My question is how do you get the service user mapping to be available to a service? We can't write the file so I'm assuming the IFS is not availablle to the service.

Thanks,

Craig

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Craig,

I don't fully understand your question... If you want to give a service, which is running on Windows server, access to IFS. It can be done by sharing a directory on i5/OS, creating the same user who is running the service, mapping a drive on Windows to IFS directory with that user, etc.

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Victor,

I think I am getting closer to understanding the problem but maybe not the solution.

The iSeries V5R4M5 has a domain of BRC.GBL defined locally (CFGTCP option 12) with a *DFT domain search list. The Host name search priority is *LOCAL.

Our Active Directory also has the BRC.GBL Domain definition.

But - when we interactivly map a drive from the windows server to the iSeries we need to use hostname/userid which to me indicates that we are requesting to use a local (not domain) user id. Then we log out and back in but the mapping is gone even though we have checked off reconnect.

Also for the user ID defined for the service, we cannot use hostname/userid but rather have to use the domain/userid. when I try and use hostname/userid in the service login I get an error that the user is not defined.

I'm not sure this helps, but hopefully my problem definition will be more clear.

Thanks,

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

The domain of iSeries (could be just DNS domain) might not have same meaning of the domain of the Windows (Windows domain).

On Windows, the service has to been executed by a "known" user - a known Windows domain user or a known Windows local user (not local iSeries user). I would specify same user and same password between Windows and iSeries, and gave proper authorization on both sides.

As a normal user (not Windows system user or background user), I used to keep the mapped drives on my laptop to iSeries servers. Hopefully you can get some results as well.

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have mapped the drive and it will reconnect after logging out and logging in.

Outside of t he service program, when we try to trying to copy a file to the mapped drive we are finding that it refuses the file with an error message that the drive may be full. Not too likely with a few terabytes of spare space. We are, however, able to open files on the as400 with windows explorer.

Thanks,

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

You have made good progress.

I would guess it is an authorization issue instead. When you logon to iSeries with that user/password, could you copy a file to that directory?

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Victor -

My worst fear, it was something simple that I had overlooked setting up the share in Ops Nav.

Thanks,

Craig