cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To check database connectivity in sql and oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

How to check in sql database that database is connected or not? Plz if possible tell how to check in oracle also? My OS is win 2003 server.

Regards

ashok

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashok,

Could you tell me that which application do you want to connect to the database.

Although all the applications and the users connect to Oracle database through oracle net services.

To check that whether you can connect to an oracle DB server first use the tnsping command at the client machine's terminal

syntax :

tnsping <connection identifier>

The connection identifier here is the entry in tnsnames.ora file

If the tnsping returns OK then you may go ahead and connect to the oracle DB using <DBuser>/<password>@<connection identifier>

If you do not get an OK after tnsping and the command is working then you have to check entries in tnsnames.ora are correct or not.

If tnsping command is not found on your machine then oracle client is not installed on the machine.(You need some middle layer to connect you application to Oracle DB , Oracle Client in this case)

This is a generic method to check the connectivity between oracle client and oracle DB and connecting to oracle database.

Regards,

Aditya

Former Member
0 Kudos

R3trans -d will give tou return code.

0000 means , your sap system is able to connect DB.

Former Member
0 Kudos

R3trans -d will give tou return code.

0000 means , your sap system is able to connect DB.

markus_doehr2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> How to check in sql database that database is connected or not?

The database connected to what?

> Plz if possible tell how to check in oracle also? My OS is win 2003 server.

You can use

R3trans -d

on all systems and databases.

Markus