Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the necessity of doing like this

former_member404244
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Folks,

I am having some kind of concern with people blaming on each other rather than answering to the issue. People do have different way of thinking and answering the questions...Sometimes it may match and sometimes it may not.. If anyone says wrong then correcting the other person is good but it should be in a soft manner rather than blaming .

Request your inputs...

Regards,

Nagaraj

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think part of the problem is that people do not make the effort to word their posts carefully, or even proof-read them before hitting 'Post'. Not just when pointing corrections but generally.

A short one-line reply will often come across as agressive or critical, even if it was not intended that way.

Also, my personal view is that it is the responsibility of the user who posted the question to point out incorrect answers, not the community at large.

Regards,

Nick

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> Also, my personal view is that it is the responsibility of the user who posted the question to point out incorrect answers, not the community at large.

For that, the poster would need to have enough knowledge to spot incorrect answers........

I do think the community should warn about incorrect answers, especially if implementing them can harm your system (and/or job). I warn posters about wrong answers and will continue to do so. Depending on the way the wrong answers are phrased I may even step on some toes in the process. So be it.

Wrong answers also pop up in search results and I consider it helpful if they are followed by a reply which states that it's a wrong answer.

Just my 2 Cents.

Former Member
0 Kudos

For that, the poster would need to have enough knowledge to spot incorrect answers........

This is not necessarily the case. If a question is asked and two different answers are provided the poster will have to determine which is correct (or which is best suited to solving their problem) and at the very least should explain which one they used, which one they didn't and why.

I have colleagues who take a very poor view of the SDN forums, not because they are a source of inaccurate information, but because information is used without verifying or applying intelligence. Whether asking a question or searching for information, there is a need to validate that the information is both appropriate and accurate, whether people are in the habbit of correcting or not.

While I acknowledge dangerous or potentially harmful suggestions could be corrected by anyone, this is very much different from jumping on every oppertunity to point out someone's misunderstanding or ignorance. I guess I'm not here to correct other people's mistakes, I get enough of that in the day job

Nick

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> While I acknowledge dangerous or potentially harmful suggestions could be corrected by anyone, this is very much different from jumping on every oppertunity to point out someone's misunderstanding or ignorance.

I couldn't agree more. But I do tend to jump when I spot posters who are too eager to answer, even if they do not understand the question. In my opinion they pollute the forum and I'll either hit abuse or post a correction on those.

Jurjen

Former Member
0 Kudos

You see, he ignored the warnings...

His next question -->

I predict that this is the 2nd in what will become a series of N chained questions... ;-(

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

The show must go on...

former_member404244
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

Thanks all for your valuable inputs... What i feel is Once a question is answered by other person or the person who posted the issue , if the person who closes the thread can expalin how he could solved it then i feel it will be a good help for all of us.Also the person who answered wrongly will also know how the issue was solved...

I feel if some kind of email sento him regarding the same whether solved by own or by others. This is only my opinion.

Apart from this if any new person joins SCN , his/her account only be activated when he/she goes through the link Rules link to understand SCN better... I mean the Rules of engagement should be sent to the person and to activate the account click on that link.

These are my opinions. Please give inputs on these.

Regards,

Nagaraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

The problem is actually just a small group of misusers who are a big pain sometimes.

You can recognize them by having many posts, many unresolved questions which are duplicate posted and typically no ponits for having contributed anything other than their (mostly lazy) questions so far.

When they go a step further still to close all their threads in one go with the comment "Thnx", so that they can open a new question with the title "Hii" ... then invoking a bit of emotion from the community is okay in my opinion. People who get caught ponits-gaming are given a similar treatment, except the emotion is mostly laced with a joke at the Guest's expense.

But yes, normally moderators do send the mails you are refering to, either automatically when rejecting a post (a link to the rules is also included) or directly via a messaging system to the mail ID of the person who made the post. We can also add text here, and generally folks react positively too it.

But... some horses can only be led to water and not forced to drink it.

Cheers,

Julius

matt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>

> The show must go on...

And now NitWick is leading him nicely down the garden path...

Regarding hurting others feelings, consider this:

In one culture, an email beginning "Dear matt", is considered to be an indication of a pretty good (professional) relationship. An email with "Hi matt", is not quite so warm. And one that just launches into the message is downright rude.

In another culture, it's almost entirely reversed. "Dear matt" is being very formal and standoffish, "Hi matt" is warmer, and launching straight into the message shows a really close and informal working relationship.

This is an international forum. if you're going to play in such an arena, then it's incumbent on the participants not to impose their cultural norms on others. Offence is something that is taken far more often than it is given. And even if I give offence - you're under no obiligation to take it.

matt

former_member404244
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Julius,

This is fine.. Initially we someone registers SCN , i am not sure if he/she goes through the rules of SCN... So they post questions (with improper subject line,duplicate threads , asking basic questions etc)... People here are guiding them that to have a look at the Rules and accordingly post questions and this is very good indeed as the new people are learning...

But initally if an email sent to the person who registered newly then i feel he/she can go through the Rules and understand SCN.

I am sorry , if the above things are already taken care and am discussing without knowing...Please Correct me.

Regards,

Nagaraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nagaraj,

Currently, the Rules of Engagement stare all of us in the face at the top of each forum page, and if a newbie (or repeat-offender...) breaks them then a mail is sent which explicity ponits them to the rules.

The bugger is that if they have misused the forum rules 10 times or are going to do it 10 times because they don't care and think they are invisible in the internet, then only deleting the posts remains as a realistic option.

Please use the Abuse Reports button if you spot such things. This is a great help for mods to act quickly. Also, for repeat offenders I find it appropriate for them to realize that they are not only up against a few mods, but rather a whole mob of SDNers who disagree with their behaviour...

But please reserve the latter for repeat offenders, and not freshers.

Cheers and enjoy the weekend and Deepavali!

Julius

former_member184657
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Initially we someone registers SCN , i am not sure if he/she goes through the rules of SCN... So they post questions (with improper subject line,duplicate threads , asking basic questions etc)...

Not having read the Rules is not the problem here. Its the lack of willingness to follow the rules thats the problem. You might have observed that a lot of posters violate the Rules in their initial posts. You might have also noticed that these posts are quickly snubbed the Community Volunteers, asking them to follow the rules and even pointed to the Rules of Engagement thread. And yet you find that a moajority of these posters to continue violating the Rules.

They only start reacting when most/all of their threads start getting mysteriously deleted or locked. At this point more than half of these posters mend their ways. An elite few continue to disregard the rules and end up joining other Guests in the forums.

pk

former_member404244
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Julius for you wishes. and also your valuable inputs .

I agree with kishan's inputs...Kishan you are right.... Though SCN moderators and active participants making good effort to improve SCN but still small group of misusers making things complex.

Thanks all for your valuable inputs and for your time.

I am closing the thread.

Have a great weekend to all.

Regards,

Nagaraj

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
If anyone says wrong then correcting the other person is 
    good but it should be in a soft manner rather than blaming .

Quite agree with you. Under any circumstances, no member is suppose to hurt others. This is the basic forum guidelines / rules. If anybody deviate this, please let us know the related thread as already requested here.

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any specific threads in mind?

Rob

former_member404244
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rob,

This is the thread which i came across...

Reagrds,

Nagaraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

I don't see the problem there. The OP is getting good advise, even if it is not that which he wants to hear.

There is more to SAP than just "how to". Often there are more interesting discussions about "why to", or as in this case "why not to".

Also, some "how to" type of advice is not necessarily good, and the people who step in to say "Sorry, but that's not a good idea" are very valuable contributors to SDN.

Sorry, I don't agree with you in this case.

Cheers,

Julius

former_member404244
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello julius,

What i felt is that one person is trying to give the explanation to the other person but still the other person not in a postion to receive it, once again tells something else which i felt is not the correct manner .

Thanks all for your valuable inputs.

Regards,

Nagaraj

Former Member
0 Kudos

> What i felt is that one person is trying to give the explanation to the other person but still the other person not in a postion to receive it, once again tells something else which i felt is not the correct manner .

I guess one could compare it to calling an RFC which is not remote enabled...

Have a nice day ahead!

Julius