cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check the startup and shutdown time of SAP system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear all,

May I know which tcode can allow me to check the startup and shutdown time of my sap system ? I know SM21 can show the recent startup and shutdown time, but if the log gets full it will be overwritten.

My scenario would be I want to know in this month how many times my SAP system has been restarted and at what time.

Kindly advise.

Comment and advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,

Kent

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sunny_pahuja2
Active Contributor

Hi Kent,

Go to transaction AL11 and go to directory /usr/sap/<SID>/<instance>/work and file is available.log. It will show start and stop time.

Thanks

Sunny

Former Member
0 Kudos

available.log file will show you all dates with time when your sap system brough up and down.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Rahul Kabadi & Sunny,

My system's available.log only shows one line, seems like after 14/4/08 there is no more update to the file.

"Unavailable 14.04.2008 05:44:17 - 14.04.2008 05:44:17"

Kindly advise.

Regards,

Kent

lakshminarayanan_m
Contributor
0 Kudos

hi,

U can check tcode sm21 log.. it wil show details.......

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kent,

maybe you looked at the wrong file available.log? Did you check whether there is a file with the same name in any other directory?

And besides that, what is the version of your SAP and operating system? As far as I know the continuous writing to available.log was only introduced in recent versions.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Lakshminarayana,

Ya as i mentioned SM21 will show, but only the recent one and the log in sm21 will be overwritten if that day many messages are captured.

I am looking for a log that will show me the startup and shutdown time happened in few weeks ago.

Dear Joe Bo,

I looked for the file from /usr/sap/PRD/DVEBMGS01/work/available.log

My sap version = ECC6, OS version is AS/400 V5R4

Please advise.

Regards,

Kent

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kent,

the file you looked at probably is the right one. However, to be exact, you did not answer my question whether there is a file with the same name in a different ditrectory.

And one more idea: Is there a file with name sapstartsrv in your exe directory? And is there a process running with name sapstartsrv and userid <sid>adm?

regards

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

j_bayrhammer
Participant

Hello,

following ways in an ABAP system are possible solutions to get system startup time:

- ST02

- RZ03 - F7

- ST10

- SM21 (if last restart was a few days ago)

- ST04 (shows last database restart)

- OS level: usr/sap/<SID>/<instance>/work/available.log

Where can I see last restart in a JAVA only system? Just in available.log or are there any other possibilities?

Regards,

Julia

0 Kudos

Hello Julia,

Your comments are really helpful.

Using the Tcode RZ03, I could see when the last system restart occurred.

Private_Member_19084
Active Contributor

Thx Jamshid - ST02 is the answer

Former Member
0 Kudos

not really answered

0 Kudos

ST02

hemanth2
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kent,

Just configure a /usr/sap/home/<sid>adm link in /nAL11 and check the stopsap.log file.

the files in that folder will give you the exact time of shutdown..

Kind regards,

hemanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Go to SM50, click on the database icon on the screen toolbar area, the work processes is being logged there including the startup and shutdown time, so you can know the interval using your math knowledge. Hope it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can check this in two way

1.SM21scroll across the log you can see message of downtime

2.At OS level go to work directory of central instance it will give you time stamp when SAP was available & unavailable

Regards

Santosh