Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

i18n in NW04

Hi,

I'm preparing a project for translating our project for a foreign customer and intend to use the standard xliff method provided by Java / WDP. Basically I got the whole thing working, meaning copying an .xlf file, adding the language code to the filename, edit the new file with the S2X editor in developer studio and the translated text neatly appears in the application.

Since our project consists of hundreds of xlf files, we want an external translation company to do the translations. They will probably don't have a netweaver developer studio available, but since xliff is a standard I went looking for external xliff program for testing this procedure.

The translations I did with these programs (tried 3 of them) did not get picked up by WDP, so I analyzed the XML itself in the xlf files. According to the specifications these programs put the translated text into < target > tags, but when translating text with the S2X editor in developer studio, the translated text is stored within the < source > tags. So here I found the reason translations aren't picked up. It is even so that an .xlf file with translation done in an external program gets converted to netweaver 'standards' completely disregarding (and discard) the target tags.

We're on NW04, SP19. Is this a known error? Am I missing something here? To me it seems xliff 1.1 is not implemented correctly, disabling external programs to do the translations. Are there known workarounds or SAP notes concerning this issue?

Greetings,

Chris van de Wouw

Former Member

Helpful Answer

by
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question