Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portal to Connect to Non-Unicode SAP Backend

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

I have what should be a simple question, yet SAP Notes provides conflicting answers. I am about to install an EP 7.0 system (for DEV) and connect it to an ECC 6.0 backend (for ESS/MSS scenarios, among others). The ECC system will be upgraded from our current R/3E 4.7 system.

The question I have has to do with Unicode to Non-Unicode interoperability. I'm aware that the Portal, being a Java component, will be a Unicode installation (no other choice). Since our ERP system is an upgrade from an existing system which is Non-Unicode, we have no current plans to convert it to Unicode (we only support English and have no internationalization requirements). Now, I have seen Notes which imply that any ABAP system which must communicate with a Java system must be Unicode. But I've also seen other Notes which imply that in a Portal scenario this really only applies if the backend system is MDMP (which ours isn't; it's single code-page). So, I have conflicting information.

So, the question is, do I have to convert my backend SAP R/3 (ECC) system to Unicode in order for it to work with the Portal, or not? I have no other compelling business reason to do this, and a number of technical reasons (hardware requirements, for instance) not to.

Best regards,

Matt Fraser

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

achim_hauck2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Matt,

that's no problem. you can connect a non-unicode backend to the portal. the "conversation" will be done automatcally in the backgound.

kr, achim

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Achim,

Thank you for clearing this up. I thought this must be the case, but had been unable to find documentation that definitively stated so.

--Matt

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

u can't convert non unicode system to unicode

system, u have to decide at installation time that u want unicode system or non unicode system,

and no metter with EP u can connect to non unicode system

no problem.

I agreed with achim.

regards,

kaushal

achim_hauck2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

kaushal,

yes, you can convert a non-unicode system to unicode. it's quite a lot effort, but you can do it (look at: http://service.sap.com/unicode and navgiate to "Conversation Roadmap").

kr, achim

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Achim

thanks for clearing my doubt.

i read the information but it's quite larger process.

regards,

kaushal