Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I increase storage for Oracle database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Gurus

We start and golive SAP one year ago, Now

my oracle databes usage is 68% like below from ST04.

Size: 308.09 GB Total size: 400.39 GB <br>

Free Size: 97.27 GB Total free size: 189.57 GB <br>

Used: 68 % Total used: 53 % <br>

This storage usage at UNIX level <br>

/dev/vx/dsk/eccprd-dg/sapdata1 100G 72G 26G 74% /oracle/PRD/sapdata1 <br>

/dev/vx/dsk/eccprd-dg/sapdata3 100G 80G 19G 82% /oracle/PRD/sapdata3 <br>

/dev/vx/dsk/eccprd-dg/sapdata4 100G 68G 30G 70% /oracle/PRD/sapdata4 <br>

/dev/vx/dsk/eccprd-dg/sapdata2 100G 89G 10G 90% /oracle/PRD/sapdata2 <br>

When I must increase storage size because it to much usage 90% ?

Or wait 90++ % all drive.

Thank for all comment.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

anindya_bose
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

You should monitor database growth from DB02OLD or DB02 ( depending on the SAP release version).

Check tablespace growth rate and usage percentage. EarlyWatch Report provides database growth rate.

Depending on your analysis you need to decide when you should go for tablespace increase

Usually, people increase tablespace size after it is 85 or 90% full, but this depends on the projects

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Witoon,

What you need to do for monitoring space for oracle Database is to proactively monitor tablespaces of the databases.

This can be easily done with the help of BRtools . It is safe to keep the used tablespace < 85 % to avoid any kind of tablespace issues. If any major loading process is to started then the free space of the table space should be adjusted accordingly.

Out of several tablespaces present in the Oracle DB few are made by Oracle for example

SYSTEM

PSAPUNDO

SYSAUX

PSAPTEMP

TOOLS

Leaving the above mentioned tablespaces you need to monitor the tablespaces whose sizes are changing.

When you increase the size of the tablespace then more space is allocated on the disk in the form of datafile for that tablespace so before increasing the size of the tablespace you need to check the free space on the disk

Use df -h (Linux command) for checkin the diskspace on linux server.

Thanks

Aditya