Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I increase storage for Oracle database

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Gurus

We start and golive SAP one year ago, Now

my oracle databes usage is 68% like below from ST04.

Size: 308.09 GB Total size: 400.39 GB <br>

Free Size: 97.27 GB Total free size: 189.57 GB <br>

Used: 68 % Total used: 53 % <br>

This storage usage at UNIX level <br>

/dev/vx/dsk/eccprd-dg/sapdata1 100G 72G 26G 74% /oracle/PRD/sapdata1 <br>

/dev/vx/dsk/eccprd-dg/sapdata3 100G 80G 19G 82% /oracle/PRD/sapdata3 <br>

/dev/vx/dsk/eccprd-dg/sapdata4 100G 68G 30G 70% /oracle/PRD/sapdata4 <br>

/dev/vx/dsk/eccprd-dg/sapdata2 100G 89G 10G 90% /oracle/PRD/sapdata2 <br>

When I must increase storage size because it to much usage 90% ?

Or wait 90++ % all drive.

Thank for all comment.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Based on database growth you may want to decide the strategy like fill level, size of the data file etc. If you are monitoring regularly then you can decide to add datafile once tablespace reaches to say 90%. You will get database growth trend also in your early watch reports.

Finally autoextend on saves the day though I would not suggest to wait until last minute. But make sure you have enough hard disk space (this is not a major worry recently as hardware is very cheap).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

First of all you must look at the growth of your database. In DB02 you can view database/tablespace growth by month over the last 12 months. This will give you a good indication of how long you have to go before space will become critical.

If you decide to extend the database, then also look at the size and growth information per tablespace. If your database follows the new layout, as I expect since it is only one year old, then the growth is most likely concentrated in the PSAP<SID> (e.g. PSAPSR3) tablespace. Other tablespaces will probably be much more static. Extend only those tablespaces that need it.

In your place I shouldn't wait too long with asking for extra disk space. You only have 400 GB physical storage for the DB with 309 GB currently allocated. Extending the database is a simple operation fully under your control, but getting extra storage might take more time.

Regards,

Mark