Skip to Content

Archived discussions are read-only. Learn more about SAP Q&A

Transport Procedure???

Dear Friends,

I have a confusion in the transport procedure in BW. In BWDEV BC, when i activate InfoProviders (say in FI-AR),i get a "assign a request screen" and i assigned a new request to it. Also when i make some changes in the BW DEV system (like deleting a source system assignment) i get an assign request screen and i assign it to a new request again. Now when i am done with all the development in the BWDEV system, what should be approach for transport to BWQ? Do i need to transport the requests that i created earlier or do i just go to transport connection and start activating at the infoprovider level with dataflow before? Please advise.

Thanks

Raj

Former Member
replied

Hi Raj:

Especially in BW, you can NEVER transport all objects in a single step in a small size project.

The reason is:

Almost all the time, I have some development that depends on BW Objects.

E.x. I create a Cube. I want to extract data from this Cube to another Cube for further transformation or consilidation or Backup.

In this case, I first have to transport my Source Cube. Create a Generate Export Data Source in QAS. Then, replicate data sources for BW QAS Soruce System. Make sure I can see this replicated Data Source in QAS. Only then I can transport new upate rules for second cube.

Also, don't ever transport Queries with Cubes, not a good practice.

We can actually write a small book in transports in BW as they are very diferent than R/3.

NOTE: When some old school R/3 people tell you to release transports without actually transporting them, say NO to that practice. Because, especailly with transported Process Chains, you will need a create a TEMP requent whenever you try to activate & schedule it. These will add unnecessary release requests.

Keep learning about transports because your transport strategy says a lot about your developemnt skills.

Good luck

Ram Chamarthy

0 View this answer in context
Not what you were looking for? View more on this topic or Ask a question