cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Integrage Weigh Scale with OPC server via xMII 12.0

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

I am new to xMII. We want to integrate shop floor weigh scale into SAP PI Sheet to read the value from weight scale into PI Sheet. We have the infrastructure Ohaus weigh scale, xMII 12.0, SAP ERP 4.70, Kepware OPC Server, installed xMII framework for UDS and UDS 4.0. We are able to integrate the OPC Data tags into SAP PI Sheet successfully. But we need help to integrate weight scale with OPC server to read the scale value into OPC data tag.

Can any one give the steps to integrate weight scale with OPC server?

with best regards

K. Mohan Reddy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does the scale have you typical RS232 output? Is your question more about how to parse the outgoing scale data into OPC Topics? If so, the Kepware documentation is pretty good about this (they have examples of scale protocols) Also thier tech support is top notch.

This might be of help too.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Doug,

Yes, our weigh scale has RS232 output port and we want to transfer the value from scale into OPC Server tags. Is it possible to connect the weigh scale with OPC server via xMII (12.0) or do I need to use the device drivers like U-CON from Kepware? Thanks in advance.

with best regards

K. Mohan Reddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mohan,

Yes, you will need an OPC dataserver, such as Kepware's UCON, or Software Toolbox's Omniserver convert the output of the scale to OPC. I have used both successfully with scales and bar code readers.

My typical architecture for something like this is:

Scale RS232 -> Serial to Ethernet Converter -> Server (with OPC dataserver) -> OPC UDS -> MII.

Or you substitute the UDS with the Plant Connectivity Listener (PCo) , although I have not tried this yet.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mohan,

Let me know the answers for the following queries:

1) What is the make and version of the controller for Ohaus weigh scale

2) Is it having frontend like scada?

3) Is it OPC enabled.If not then what is the modebus or proficy bus it is using?

-Suresh