cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xi 3.0 to PI 7.1 Upgrade issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are upgrading our system from XI 3.0 to PI 7.1. There are 30-40 interfaces running in our landscape . Can anyone please tell me whether it is needed to test all these interfaces after upgrade?

I have read many blogs about the same topic in sdn and collected few points.

the follwoing interfaces needs to be tested :

1.interfaces with third party adapters

2.interfaces with adapter modules deployed on the adapter engine

3.interfaces using java proxy for communication

4.interfaces having xslt mapping,java mapping in the design

5.interfaces with user defined function in the mapping

6.interfaces using standard functions like ifs,if without else etc in the mapping

7.if idoc is used, then , should be tested towards triggering and posting of the IDOC.

8.if XSD is used in any of the interfaces then they should be tested to see if the XSD is working fine

9.interfaces Using HTTPS

please let me know if there are any other conditions missing .

Regards

Jagruthi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rao,

I have upgraded my system from XI 3.0 to PI 7.1 EHP1. I do thing the best and safe way is full test all these interfaces. You should not test interfaces in PI system and you do need test these interfaces functioning in third system or third party company. Like abap receiver proxy in R3 system. You also need redeploy JDBC Drivers again after upgrate.

Hope this can get some help to you upgrading.

Terry

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We have tested all the 30 interfaces and did nt find any major problems as the interfaces are pretty simple.

thanks a lot for all your replies..

Jagruthi

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have done an upgrade from XI 3.0 to 7.1. My experience: do not rely on such lists which tell you what you do need to test and what not. We have found many subtle differences or problems which are nowhere documented.

You need to test at least ALL technical types which you have, regardless if they are in that list or not. Otherwise you are at risk of having a very hard time at day 1 of production switchover.

In case of 30-40 interfaces, test all, at least one message. This should be no big deal.

CSY

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suraj,

Can you please tell what is the reason for testing

1. ABAP Proxy interfaces

2. Interaces wih JDBC And SOAP Adapter

coz i read in sdn that there will be no imapct on ABAP proxies after upgrade

Regards

Jagruthi

Chandra_Hota
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jagruthi

We are planning an upgrade from XI3.0 to PI7.1

I have gone thru your question, and i understand all the areas which we need to test.

Can you please tell me any other areas which might cause problems while upgrade?

What are the key areas which determine the time & effort required for upgrade from XI3.0 to PI7.1 ?

I am currently planning upgrade activities and time lines, and your inputs will be really helpful.

Many Thanks

Chandra

Chandra_Hota
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Jagruthi

We are planning an upgrade from XI3.0 to PI7.1

I have gone thru your question, and i understand all the areas which we need to test.

Can you please tell me any other areas which might cause problems while upgrade?

What are the key areas which determine the time & effort required for upgrade from XI3.0 to PI7.1 ?

I am currently planning upgrade activities and time lines, and your inputs will be really helpful.

Many Thanks

Chandra

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For 30-40 interfaces, it would be better to perform tests for all of them. Only if you have say more than 100 interfaces, then you may think of eliminating few of the. This is because even if your interface does not fall into the list you have given or any new list provided by anyone on forums, you are still under risk that your interface could fail.

e.g. say you are using file adapter without any modules. Now no1 will suggest you that you test it. But suppose you are using the feature "Msecs to Wait Before Modification Check" in XI 3.0. Now this option is no longer available in PI 7.1. Then there is no way you can confirm this without the actual testing. I hope I was able to communicate the need

Regards,

Prateek

former_member187339
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jagruthi,

Apart from tepnce which you have mentioned, you need to test

1. ABAP Proxy interfaces

2. Interaces wih JDBC And SOAP Adapter

3. etc.

But I will sugest since you have very less interfaes 30-40 it is better to test then now so that we can avoid any uprises in production

Regards

Suraj