Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create or not create shadow landscape for R/3 when upgrading APO

0 Kudos

Dear,

I

This is my situation I wanted to discuss with you:

My customer will upgrade its APO 4.1 to APO 7.0

APO is integrated in R/3 ECC 5.0 system.

R/3 ECC 5.0 will not be upgraded.

For APO upgrade we will create a shadow landscape.

Q1: should we also do this for R/3 system for testing purposes?

Q2: or can we integrate both APO 4.1 and 7.0 to same R/3, or isnu2019t that a good idea?

Q3: What are the pro and con's of (not) having a R/3 shadow landscape?

Thx

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Hermans,

The IDEAL answer is YES ... you do need to create a Separate ECC Landscape for the SCM Upgrade.

It would be so great if everyone could Afford a completely new Set of Landscapes ...

And FOR SURE ... It is NOT a good idea to Link the Current SUPPORT Landscape with the New SCM,

especially if you are using modules other than DP (SNP, PPDS, TPVS, GATP) which Plan and modify

ECC Orders ... it will cause COnflicts in terms of SUPPORT also for Orders of the same master data.

If APO is live with only Demand Planning (DP) module .... then you can use the same ECC. Else not.

Even the "Plug-In" Component required for the ECC and SCM Interface to work is different for SCM 7 and SCM 5.

The "Plug In" component on ECC also needs to be Upgraded and should be same as SCM for it to work Properly.

With trying to do with less servers ... a bit of JUGGLING on Hardware and Refreshes is required.

I will try to Explain this below ... please read carefully.

Assuming your ECC Support Landscape is JED (Development), JEI (Quality / Integration) and JEP (ECC Production) and

'E' in JED - stands for ECC / R3

your SCM v5.0 Support Landscape is JSD (Development), JSI (Quality / Integration) and JSP (SCM Production)

'S' in JSD stands for SCM

You should create a Copy of your ECC System JEP or JEI to a New Development System - SED (say).

SED is same as ECC5 and a New Development.

You can then Create a New S7D which you must copy out of JSI or JSP (Use same for both ECC & SCM - Quality or Prod)

which will be Integrated to SED. This becomes your Development Landscape.

Once you've done Good Testing and Fixed all Issues ... instead of Creating New Landscapes for SCM7 for Quality,

what is best is that you Upgrade S5D to SCM version 7.0. At this point in time the JSD system can no more be your

Development System for Supporting Production Issues untill after SCM version 7 Upgrade in JSP. So you Support

Production for a Temporary Project Period (1.5-2 months) only out of JSI to JSP which are on Version 5.0

and JSD has been Upgraded to SCM version 7.0.

So you do SCM v7 Unit Testing on JSD with JED. Support Production out of JSI and JEI.

At this point you need S7D for only such time that JSD is properly setup and tested.

Later when the Time comes for Upgrading JSI to SCM ver 7.0 .... you also need a Production Support System for JSP

which is still on version 5.0. At this point the S7D Server can be Refreshed with a Copy of Current JSI on version 5.0

and the Client is renamed to S5I. This will be for a very small time (3-4 weeks Max) and so would be a Crash and Burn System ... dismantle it after the Upgrade of JSP to version 7.0. Rename S7D to S5I and use it for SCM ver5 Production support.

Similarly the SED that was copied ... can be refreshed from JEI again and renamed to JEC (say). JEC and S5I are integrated for Supporting Production. The need for JEC is for a temporary period. If you cannot dismantle S7D ... as you need to refer to it ... then you would need a New SCM5 Server for Prodn Support ... but for a temporary period of 4 weeks Max ... untill JSP is upgraded.

Now Upgrade JSI to SCM version 7.0 and do your Integration testing by Integrating with JEI.

At this point in time you should also Stop all Developments on SCM 5 and only allow Break-Fix COnfig changes. The Break-Fix Configuration Changes done in S5I should also be Implemented Manually to JSD and JSI which are both on SCM ver 7.0

Finally You Upgrade JSP to SCM version 7.0 and Transport all Fixes done in JSD and JSI to JSP. This is how the Project needs to be planned. With this Jugglery ... you can manage with less hardware.

After the Upgrade of JSP ... you can Dismantle S5I and JEC.

Hope this helps. Please design this over properly ... I have merely suggested this not knowing the Constraints and the Modules IMplemented on ECC as well as your SCM v5.

Regards,

Ambrish

Edited by: Ambrish Mathur on Oct 9, 2009 4:31 PM

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

0 Kudos

Thanks all guys

0 Kudos

Thanks all guys

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear WISE

Pls find your queries answered below

Q1: should we also do this for R/3 system for testing purposes?

It is always better to created a shadow environment for your ECC Landscape too so that

your existing Landscape is not hampered and Transports happen smoothly. The main problem

envisaged is the testing which requires both APO and ECC in conjunction with each other in the existing

environment.

Q2: or can we integrate both APO 4.1 and 7.0 to same R/3, or isnu2019t that a good idea?

Not suggested. But feasible

Q3: What are the pro and con's of (not) having a R/3 shadow landscape?

ECC shadow is always recommended but you need to have space to created new clients in

your dev and quality server.

Regards

Virender